Sweet potatoes - do you like them or hate them?

How do you feel about sweet potatoes?

• I love them

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • I hate them and would never eat them

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't like them but will eat them sometimes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't feel strongly about them either way

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I don't hate them but I wouldn't go out of my way to cook some or eat some.

These came out of our "garden". I had no idea that we grew them. We gave these away.

Probably the only thing that I hate about sweet potatoes is that awful stringy matter that you'd get when you boil them to make pies with!! I pulverize them, either through a ricer, in the Vitamix blender or in the food processor, so that awful gunk won't show up in the pie filling after you've made it, or in the sweet potato pies after you bake them in the oven! Without that, the pies are smooth as silk & taste equally as good!! :whistling:

I love sweet potatoes! Especially fried or roasted till they're crunchy. Sweet potatoes are really popular in Portugal btw, but the most common way to eat them is roasted till they're pureed inside - which I personally dislike.

If someone could prepare it in a fashion where it didn't look or taste like a sweet potato I would try it!

I used to love them. They were my veggie of choice when eating chicken fried steak and cream gravy. I have changed most of those bad habits and also don't like them anymore. I can't get them down without the gravy. For awhile I loved them with just butter, salt and pepper but the last time I made one I couldn't eat it. Go figure.

For awhile I loved them with just butter, salt and pepper but the last time I made one I couldn't eat it. Go figure.
My dad used to love them, but it was the last meal he had before having an emergency appendectomy, and since then, he dry heaves at the sight or smell of them, and he’s not influenced like that with most things.

My dad used to love them, but it was the last meal he had before having an emergency appendectomy, and since then, he dry heaves at the sight or smell of them, and he’s not influenced like that with most things.
Well I can see it. His brain likely linked the two events since they were close together.

Beside baked as a jacket potato, I do them in the style of "Bananas Foster" and have that as a side dish for Thanksgiving. They are great with the smoked turkey I make.

I like baked and mashed sweet potatoes. I've been known to sub sweet potatoes for butternut squash and vice versa. When I make Massaman curry, I like to use chicken, chunks of par-steamed sweet potatoes, avocado chunks and cashews.

Recipe - Chicken massaman curry

Off topic, but when I was about 5 years old I ate about half a dozen chocolate covered cream filled donuts and was so sick it took me a very long time before I could eat one again. About 12 years, LOL.

I like baked and mashed sweet potatoes. I've been known to sub sweet potatoes for butternut squash and vice versa. When I make Massaman curry, I like to use chicken, chunks of par-steamed sweet potatoes, avocado chunks and cashews.

Recipe - Chicken massaman curry
Yeah, to me butternut squash, yams, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, pumpkin, etc. all taste very similar. The idea of using avocado and cashews with them is interesting, I must say.

Yeah, to me butternut squash, yams, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, pumpkin, etc. all taste very similar. The idea of using avocado and cashews with them is interesting, I must say.

Actually wasn't our idea. The restaurant where we get Thai and Japanese takeout makes it that way. I liked it so started making mine that way.

Back
Top Bottom