SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:30 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I decided to have a play during the week and try out a new recipe: Sweet Miso Kale Crisps and boy are they good, despite having to change some of the ingredients over to what is available in the UK.

So with the various substitutions, here is my version of the recipe. Ideally you need a dehydrator for this recipe, but you could experiment with an oven at a very low temperature.

Ingredients (UK version):
  • A packet of kale, picked over & stalks removed, washed and dried.
  • 400g plain Cashew nuts
  • 350ml water
  • 2 tbsp ClearSpring Sweet White Miso
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp agave nectar (or honey/maple syrup or any other runny sugar type syrup - grape molasses could also work here)
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder*
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
The sauce makes about 750ml of which you will need just over half if using a small packet of kale or all of it if you have a large packet of kale.

Method:
  • Soak the cashew nuts in water for at least 2 hours.
  • Put the water, miso, lemon juice, agave nectar, onion powers, black pepper & mustard powder into a liquidizer and whiz up.
  • Slowly add the drained cashew nuts to the above mixture, processing each time until the mixture is totally smooth. This is easiest if you start with a small handful and add a little more each time (unless you have a suitable raw food, high speed processor which can handle it).
  • Once the mixture is as smooth as you can get it - taste it. :) It is wonderful.
  • Put the kale into a bowl and add around half of the sauce to the kale and mix it in well. All the kale should have a good covering.
  • Place on dehydrator trays lined with teflex sheets & dehydrate at 115F for around 8-12 hours. Mine took around 12 hours to get to a nice crunchy stage.
* Onion powder: you can buy this if you search around but it is very expensive (£2.99 for 50g!), especially given what it actually is which is dehydrated onions ground into a flour. The cheapest option is to purchase some onion flakes from your local supermarket for around 50p-£1 and use a coffee grinder to make your own and store in an airtight jar.

Given mine do not look anything like as good as the picture on the website that I got the recipe from, I will link you to that picture instead...

sweet-miso.jpg

What mine look like... but they taste fantastic.
IMG_5968.JPG

Oooh, that sounds nice!

NT is going to build a solar food dryer for my work, all out of scrap material. We might have to try those!

I decided to have a play during the week and try out a new recipe: Sweet Miso Kale Crisps and boy are they good, despite having to change some of the ingredients over to what is available in the UK.

So with the various substitutions, here is my version of the recipe. Ideally you need a dehydrator for this recipe, but you could experiment with an oven at a very low temperature.

Ingredients (UK version):
  • A packet of kale, picked over & stalks removed, washed and dried.
  • 400g plain Cashew nuts
  • 350ml water
  • 2 tbsp ClearSpring Sweet White Miso
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp agave nectar (or honey/maple syrup or any other runny sugar type syrup - grape molasses could also work here)
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder*
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
The sauce makes about 750ml of which you will need just over half if using a small packet of kale or all of it if you have a large packet of kale.

Method:
  • Soak the cashew nuts in water for at least 2 hours.
  • Put the water, miso, lemon juice, agave nectar, onion powers, black pepper & mustard powder into a liquidizer and whiz up.
  • Slowly add the drained cashew nuts to the above mixture, processing each time until the mixture is totally smooth. This is easiest if you start with a small handful and add a little more each time (unless you have a suitable raw food, high speed processor which can handle it).
  • Once the mixture is as smooth as you can get it - taste it. :) It is wonderful.
  • Put the kale into a bowl and add around half of the sauce to the kale and mix it in well. All the kale should have a good covering.
  • Place on dehydrator trays lined with teflex sheets & dehydrate at 115F for around 8-12 hours. Mine took around 12 hours to get to a nice crunchy stage.
* Onion powder: you can buy this if you search around but it is very expensive (£2.99 for 50g!), especially given what it actually is which is dehydrated onions ground into a flour. The cheapest option is to purchase some onion flakes from your local supermarket for around 50p-£1 and use a coffee grinder to make your own and store in an airtight jar.

Given mine do not look anything like as good as the picture on the website that I got the recipe from, I will link you to that picture instead...

sweet-miso.jpg

What mine look like... but they taste fantastic.
View attachment 58
I think I'm going to try this one out. It looks good! I have never used miso. I've been vegan for about 3 years and just never gotten around to buying miso, but I head some good thing about it. Can you make vegan cheese with it?

I think I'm going to try this one out. It looks good! I have never used miso. I've been vegan for about 3 years and just never gotten around to buying miso, but I head some good thing about it. Can you make vegan cheese with it?
I don't make vegan cheese with miso, but I do make a very nice vegan bean pate with it. I will see if I can get my OH to bring the recipe up tonight for me and I can type it up tomorrow (bed bound after back surgery). The vegan cheese I make is posted up here somewhere... goes off to hunt for it... right it is here - I will have to get round to writing it up properly rather than linking to another site.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/raw-cashew-nut-cheese.243/ You don't need the rejuvelac and I have found it freezes brilliantly, so I make it in bulk and store it in the freezer. By far the best probiotics to use have been the New Chapter Probiotic All-Flora, which you shouldn't have as many problems getting hold of in the states. Here I have to order them and wait weeks for them to be shipped here. Different ones seriously alter the taste of the cheese.

oh and if you follow the link in the first line, you will get the US version if it - so cup measurements and some US ingredients. I had to 'compromise' to get the UK version.

Last edited:
I've made these again, and updated the images.
I have to say that if I was to recommend them, it would be with less pepper. It is a little too strong when it is freshly ground and could easily have halved I think.

Back
Top Bottom