Recipe Tabbouleh with Egg and Pickled Lemon

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:01 PM
A no cook recipe! Many recipes for Tabbouleh use a lot more parsley (or parsley/mint) than I have, often in a ratio of double the weight of herbs to the weight of dry bulgur. Personally. I prefer rather more grain but you can vary this to your taste. The dill adds a lovely fragrance here. I used dried mint out of necessity, but fresh mint added would be good. The egg and pickled lemon are probably not at all traditional - but I think they work. I think more tomatoes are needed here. I used up what was to hand but would double the quantlty next time.

Ingredients (serves 2)
50g bulgur
1/2 a red onion finely chopped
Juice and zest of a lemon
6 baby tomatoes
30g parsley, finely chopped
20g dill finely chopped
1 x pickled lemon, finely chopped
1 tbsp dried mint
1 hard boiled egg
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Place the bulgur into bowl and cover with 100ml of boiling water. Stir, then leave for 20 minutes, or until the bulgur has absorbed all of the water.
  2. Add the chopped red onion and lemon zest and juice to the bulgur. At this point you can leave the mixture to marinate for several hours or overnight.
  3. Roughly chop the hard boiled egg and place in a sieve over a bowl. Force the egg through the sieve using the back of a spoon.
  4. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, remove the seeds and finely dice the flesh. Drain and dry the pickled lemon and finely dice.
  5. Add the parsley, dill, dried, mint, pickled lemon, tomatoes, egg and olive oil to the bulgur and mix well until combined.
  6. Add salt. to taste. Save a little of the egg to sprinkle on top of the finished salad. The flavours will improve if left to stand at room temperature for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom