The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:37 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
17bfe438-977e-4c7e-9553-b5aad979d01e-jpeg.jpg

Niki Segnit - author of the flavor thesaurus - had a recipe for tabouleh that went something like this:
get a bunch of parsley, and start chopping. When you're done with that, get another bunch of parsley. When you feel like your arm is about to fall off, keep on chopping.

Tabouleh will always be largely about the parsley. But, after that, there are many different ideas of how to put it together.
  • There are some who insist that bulgar wheat is essential. I used to be one of those people, until I started looking for healthier ways to make my food. I've found that I don't miss it.
  • There are others who just want a whisper of mint in their parsley. I am not one of those people. It's seriously all I can do to not make it half mint, half parsley. I will completely understand if some of you want to scale back the mint, but these are the proportions I use.
  • Grapes? No, they're usually not part of tabouleh. But, I was happy to find that they really do work here. I've found that making alterations of established recipes involves small adjustments. This is a case where the grape stands in for the tomato in a standard tabouleh recipe.
  • Tabbouleh, tabouleh, tabbouli, tabouli, or taboulah? No idea which is the Correct spelling.
Ingredients

2 bunches parsley
1 bunch mint
6 ounces red grapes
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
4 tablespoons preserved lemon, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 baby bell peppers (different colors), chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil, adjusted to taste
1 teaspoon kosher salt, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Chop parsley and mint finely. Add the stems if you like. Clean up parsley and mint that's now all over the floor and counter.

2. Cut grapes into chunks using a serrated knife (a kitchen steak knife works well here). If necessary, put grapes in freezer to firm them up a bit (overly ripe grapes tend to just get smashed). Please make sure all grapes are removed from freezer to avoid ending up on this tread: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-i-found-in-my-refrigerator-freezer.14759/.

3. Blend in all remaining components thoroughly. DON'T TRY IT YET! Well, okay...you can try it if you want, but you'll be disappointed at this point. The ingredients really, really need a chance to settle before the flavors start coming together.

4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Taste and stir in additional salt if desired.

Back
Top Bottom