The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:11 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
0cfa8a6e-bd19-4bef-9604-a5abe41b30f1-jpeg.jpg

I've made Thai coconut soups before, but always with shrimp and fish sauce. This is one removes those, and instead leans on the miso paste to provide the savoriness. The result is a very good coconut soup that is also completely vegan.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons ginger root, diced
5 garlic clove, diced
2 tablespoons lemongrass, paste or finely chopped stalks
1 handful Thai basil, chopped
6 tablespoons reduced sodium red miso, divided
8 ounces baby corn
14 ounces bamboo shoots
5 chipotle peppers, chopped
1 cup mushroom, sliced
1 1⁄2 ounces scallion, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 cups vegetable stock
27 ounces Light Thai Coconut Milk

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until slightly browned and fragrant, stirring constantly.

2. Add lemongrass, basil, and 4 tablespoons of miso and stir thoroughly into the ginger and garlic. Heat for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

IMG_0500.JPG

NOTE: this is an irresponsible amount of bamboo shoots (I added an entire bag from an Asian grocery store), so scale back if desired. But, I did like how it made the soup more substantial.

3. Add baby corn, bamboo shoots, and peppers. Stir thoroughly to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

IMG_0501.JPG

4. Add mushrooms, scallions, lime juice, and stock. Reduce heat. Cook for another 20 minutes.

IMG_0502.JPG

5. Add coconut milk. Stir in remaining miso to taste (I used all of it).

View attachment 28533

I've made Thai coconut soups before, but always with shrimp and fish sauce. This is one removes those, and instead leans on the miso paste to provide the savoriness. The result is a very good coconut soup that is also completely vegan.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons ginger root, diced
5 garlic clove, diced
2 tablespoons lemongrass, paste or finely chopped stalks
1 handful Thai basil, chopped
6 tablespoons reduced sodium red miso, divided
8 ounces baby corn
14 ounces bamboo shoots
5 chipotle peppers, chopped
1 cup mushroom, sliced
1 1⁄2 ounces scallion, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 cups vegetable stock
27 ounces Light Thai Coconut Milk

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until slightly browned and fragrant, stirring constantly.

2. Add lemongrass, basil, and 4 tablespoons of miso and stir thoroughly into the ginger and garlic. Heat for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.

View attachment 28530

NOTE: this is an irresponsible amount of bamboo shoots (I added an entire bag from an Asian grocery store), so scale back if desired. But, I did like how it made the soup more substantial.

3. Add baby corn, bamboo shoots, and peppers. Stir thoroughly to coat. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

View attachment 28531

4. Add mushrooms, scallions, lime juice, and stock. Reduce heat. Cook for another 20 minutes.

View attachment 28532

5. Add coconut milk. Stir in remaining miso to taste (I used all of it).

Not a soup guy, but I'll try a big bowl,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom