Thai fruits (previously Purple Mangosteen)

OK - is this one sweet or very acid? Over here in Venezuela, most passion fruit are acid; yet if you buy them in Colombia, they´re sweet.

That one was sour.

Sorry, I did not pick up on your post until today. If you "reply" to the post (bottom right corner) then the poster to whom you are replying is notified by the forum software that a response has been posted.

A shed load of carissa carandas fruit (มะม่วงหาวมะนาวโห่) in various stages of "ripeness" which we were given today. I tried a ripe one and it "burst" splashing red dye everywhere. Even though ripe it was still extremely bitter!

A shed load of carissa carandas fruit (มะม่วงหาวมะนาวโห่) in various stages of "ripeness" which we were given today. I tried a ripe one and it "burst" splashing red dye everywhere. Even though ripe it was still extremely bitter!

It seems they are used in India to make pickle. The Indian name is karonda so you could google karonda pickle for a recipe.

It seems they are used in India to make pickle. The Indian name is karonda so you could google karonda pickle for a recipe.

I have a recipe. It includes olive oil, fennel, cumin and fenugreek seeds, chilli, mustard and turmeric powder. Unfortunately, after spending half an hour cutting and de-seeding a few dozen I gave up (#25 ). Then my wife explained to me that you should only pickle the unripe fruits so I gave up the whole project.

Water melon.

The first time that I worked in the Arabian Gulf (Qatar in '85) I would quarter one of these and sit in a bath of tepid water to eat it. I could then spit out the seeds into the water for later collection once the water was drained. Strange the irrelevant facts that one remembers as one ages.

The first time that I worked in the Arabian Gulf (Qatar in '85) I would quarter one of these and sit in a bath of tepid water to eat it. I could then spit out the seeds into the water for later collection once the water was drained. Strange the irrelevant facts that one remembers as one ages.

I like watermelon but that is weird Yorky.

In Venezuela I used to just cut them into wedges and slurp them down, crunching on the seeds. Then I discovered that if you removed the seeds, they make the most delicious juice you can imagine - especially with a splash of gin in it...

In Venezuela I used to just cut them into wedges and slurp them down, crunching on the seeds. Then I discovered that if you removed the seeds, they make the most delicious juice you can imagine - especially with a splash of gin in it...

Believe this or not. My wife will sit (probably on the floor) and eat a water melon spitting out the seeds into a dish for subsequent disposal. She then doesn't find it odd to buy a packet of water melon seeds and eat them straight from the packet.

Back
Top Bottom