Thai fruits (previously Purple Mangosteen)

I really like ramboetans and I love the way they look.
I don't ever see them here, but we do have litchi's (lychees)

The only part that I find slightly distasteful is the outer skin of the nut which is difficult to separate. I've never had rambutan from a tin but I would imagine that this skin is removed?

Only ever had them fresh.
Not a fan of canned fruits. Generally far too sweet for my tastebuds.
I had rambutan, longan and whatever else fruits I would see in Thailand (dragon fruit, durian...)

Pineapples from the roadside sellers yesterday - 3 for ฿50.00 (about £1.20).

I intend to cook Thai pineapple fried rice for the first time in my life. I shall attempt it on Friday this week with chicken.

Has anyone any tips?

Here is a chicken one which looks good:

Thai Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice Recipe

Thanks for that MG. Unfortunately my wife took over the cooking task after I had prepared the majority of the ingredients. She hardly ever uses a written recipe so I only know what she included not how much/many of each. (I didn't watch - safer to stay out of the way).

2 small handfulls of steamed Jasmin rice (cold), Pineapple chunks from half a pineapple, vegetable oil, chicken (about one breast), a small white onion, 4 garlic cloves, chopped tomato, 1 egg, chopped spring onions, fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Plus I added some coriander leaf to serve.

I would say, whatever quantities she used it was extremely tasty.

Sapodillas and a mango.
There seem to be a lot of similar fruits here in Venezuela. Mangoes, of course (at least a dozen varieties) and the sapodilla - which is called "zapote" or "nispero" here.
What colour is the sapodilla fruit inside? Pink or brown?

Back
Top Bottom