Thai fruits (previously Purple Mangosteen)

There is something really good which requires unripe mangos... trouble is I've forgotten what it is! Whatever it was I didn't make as I couldn't get unripe mango. This is now going to drive me made until I remember.

Som Tam?

[No, I'm probably thinking of unripe papaya. I'm always getting the two muxed ip. Must be the lack of beer]

Last edited:
There is something really good which requires unripe mangos... trouble is I've forgotten what it is! Whatever it was I didn't make as I couldn't get unripe mango. This is now going to drive me made until I remember.

There's a Vietnamese sauce made for dipping unripe mangos. "Nuoc mam duong" I believe it's called; made from fish sauce, sugar and hot red chillis.

Today my mother-in-law told us that she was intending to buy "mayong chid" trees which given that the fruit is selling at just under 10 quid/kilo appears to be a reasonable investment. I'm sure she is looking for a donation.
in-thai-name-isolated-on-white-background_30478-62.jpg
This thing so pricy, I will eat only when I feel like I need to spoil myself from hard workday, I can say it quite high demand in the premium supermarket.

I am surprised I didn't see this thread before. Lot's of fruits I've never seen or heard of before.

CD

Another new one (to me).

Má-gòk (Elaeocarpus hygrophilus). I cannot find an English name but my wife calls them Thai olives. They are horrible!

She intends to pickle them.

Longan and Lychee are grown here, mostly in the Redland. Longan, to me, has a light olive flavor and Lychee is sweet.

Back
Top Bottom