• 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 Thai red chili peppers, chopped
  • 4 flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • olive oil
  • seasoning
eggplant-s.jpg

Method

Put the eggplants and gherkins in a bowl, season with salt, mix well and put aside for 30 minutes.

In a flat based pan, stir fry the sliced eggplants and gherkins in olive oil for around 5 minutes until slightly brown. Remove and put aside.

Add the onions, chilies and capsicums to the pan with a little more olive oil. Stir fry for around 10 minutes then add the garlic and a little salt and pepper.

Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Then add the reserved eggplants and gherkins and the parsley and cook covered for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

rat cooked.jpg

Oh, those pretty Thai green eggplants (aubergines)! I suppose the purple ones would be fine - but would it still be Thai?

Oh, those pretty Thai green eggplants (aubergines)! I suppose the purple ones would be fine - but would it still be Thai?

Purple ones are rare here, in fact I can say that only seen them for sale once. Here are a selection from our local morning market:

015.jpg

I once made a curry with the green aubergines - it was a bit of a failure. However I gave the remainder to a couple who were vegetarian and (they said that) they enjoyed it.

auberginecurry_zpsq1e1xu4f.jpg

I think I only recognise 1 or 2 items I that photo!

Along the top row, left to right: green pumpkin (fak tong) pea egg plant (mak rhua); cherry tomatoes (mak rhua thed); birds eye chilies (prik kee noo): okra (krachiap); lotus stems (sai bua). Bottom row: gherkin (taeng wah); egg plant (mak rhua); pennywart (dawk slid); egg plant (mak rhua); bitter gourd (marat); winged beans (thua phou).

Please forgive me if the Thai translation is not correct.

Back
Top Bottom