The asparagus season

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:41 PM
The asparagus season has just started here. Do you like asparagus? The sweet, nutty almost sulphurous taste of fresh asparagus is so wonderful with buttery sauces and eggs. I know that white forced asparagus is popular in France (and I believe, Scandinavia). I've never been certan if it is really better. Those young fresh green stalks are so packed with flavour.

Do you like asparagus? How do you like to serve it?

Yes, we like it and are fortunate enough to live right around the corner from a pick-your-own asparagus farm.

I like it just steamed with some herbed butter, but I'll also roast it, wrapped in prosciutto and topped with a little parm or romano cheese.

I love it
South of here the Germans grow huge amounts of white spargel and they sell it cooked on the streets in some places . . they are literally crazy on it . . but sadly with this cornona I wont be able to drive to Germany to get some :-(

It also works great with eggs. I'll sometimes make crepes, fill them with ham, cheese, and asparagus, then top with a fried egg, and it's a complete meal.

I love it
South of here the Germans grow huge amounts of white spargel and they sell it cooked on the streets in some places . . they are literally crazy on it . . but sadly with this cornona I wont be able to drive to Germany to get some :-(

The white one - what do you think? Does it taste different?

How lucky you are! Is it in season there now? And are you allowed to visit and pick it given the restrictions right now?
It should be, or else it should be very close. I'm assuming that it'd be fine to go there, as I haven't found too many places that are completely closed.

The next farm over, BTW, is a strawberry and raspberry farm. :)

Wrapped in bread, a roll. Or in quiche. I've been own to open a can and eat it from there. I love it.

Russ

Canned asparagus? Yours must be better than ours. Canned asparagus here is mushy.

My mom only served canned asparagus to us as kids -- generally cooked to death. My sister and I both hated asparagus until we went off to the "big city" and has fresh asparagus steamed. It was an epiphany.

CD

Canned asparagus? Yours must be better than ours. Canned asparagus here is mushy.

My mom only served canned asparagus to us as kids -- generally cooked to death. My sister and I both hated asparagus until we went off to the "big city" and has fresh asparagus steamed. It was an epiphany.

CD

Yeah it's a bit mushy but better than nothing. We planted some here about 5 years ago but it never took,my friend always drops a bunch around every week when his is growing. Cooking fresh I pan fry until it softens then I add balsamic vinegar. I love it. I never had it growing up nor knew anyone that did! My first experience was a flash restaurant about 40 years ago.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom