The coffee thread

My basic day-to-day coffee is Community decaf. I have issues with caffeine, and this decaf still tastes like a good, medium to dark roast coffee. Community used to be a Southern Louisiana/SE Texas brand, but now it a lot more widely available. More and more restaurants are serving it.

View attachment 100680

If you want an extra punch in your coffee, they have a coffee-hickory blend, which is a big cajun thing.

CD
I only have issues with caffeine if I drink it in the afternoon (after 2 pm). I wasn't always like that. When I was younger I could drink coffee all day and still fall asleep at night.

Most of the time, I use K-Cups, because is is an easy and efficient way to make one cup of coffee.

My favorite ways to brew coffee for flavor are either a French press for smaller amounts, or an old-fashioned percolator coffee pot for larger amounts.

CD
I have the refillable pods because the K-cups are not compostable. Plus it saves a lot of money to just fill the pods with my own coffee. Also, haven't you found that the K-cups can be rather inconsistent at times and can occasionally taste stale or weak? I was gifted a bunch of Newman's Own Organic that's pretty good but once those are gone I am back to refillable pods again. I do like my iCoffee machine much better than the Keurig (which is still sitting in my pantry after 8 years). The iCoffee steams the grinds and the flavor is superior to Keurig's method.

I am mostly using my MacBook Pro lately, so I can stay downstairs as much as possible on these hot days, and not run the upstairs AC so much.

My three Macs all run the same operating system, but the auto-correct on my MacBook is the most sensitive. 🤷‍♂️

I only use my iPhone to type if I absolutely must (I generally use speech-to-text).

CD
I see. On my desktop (Windows), it underlines misspelled words but it doesn't dare autocorrect me!

Speech-to-text can be hilarious at times!

It's appalling, but my wife drinks it every morning :hyper: :hyper: (and she's Venezuelan, not English).
I say to her:
" Why don't you make proper coffee? We've got some of the best coffee in the world!!"
"Because I can't be bothered."

There's no answer to that!
It's just as easy to make a cup of coffee (to me) as it is to heat water and use coffee powder. YUCK. Hey, and I am not even a coffee snob. I will drink Maxwell House or Folgers and I don't grind my own beans. I add so much cream and sugar it wouldn't matter anyway. But I would have to draw the line at that instant coffee. I can't stand the taste of it and I would be able to taste it, even with all the sugar and cream mixed in. No masking that flavor.

I only have issues with caffeine if I drink it in the afternoon (after 2 pm). I wasn't always like that. When I was younger I could drink coffee all day and still fall asleep at night.

I have the refillable pods because the K-cups are not compostable. Plus it saves a lot of money to just fill the pods with my own coffee. Also, haven't you found that the K-cups can be rather inconsistent at times and can occasionally taste stale or weak? I was gifted a bunch of Newman's Own Organic that's pretty good but once those are gone I am back to refillable pods again. I do like my iCoffee machine much better than the Keurig (which is still sitting in my pantry after 8 years). The iCoffee steams the grinds and the flavor is superior to Keurig's method.

My issue with caffeine is that it can make my heart race, and have me bouncing off the walls. One cup in the morning, if I have a physically active morning ahead of me is usually fine. I just have to be careful about how much I have, and not have to sit still at my computer after I drink it.

I have had some K-Cup coffees that had a stale taste, but I've gone through quite a few of the Community K-Cups and they have all been good. I have one of the reusable K-Cup inserts, but haven't used it much.

CD

16863661166157616598825815335376.jpg

This morning’s coffee:

IMG_4649.jpeg

That’s $5.50 coffee from ALDI, and it suits me fine. MrsT drinks a specialty flavored decaf from the bistro that costs $18 for a 12-ounce bag.

My wife’s coffee:

IMG_4651.jpeg
IMG_4652.jpeg

That’s maple candy that she forgot she had, so I threw that in there in place of her usual sugar cube, so now it’s extra mapley.

I've been in the Apple cult for over 15 years and two days ago ordered a windows laptop. The compatibility issues have finally got the better of me.
Apples works marvellously with other Apple products, their business offerings are excellent, they fix things quickly and the 16 different devices used between family and employees all synch seamlessly meaning everyones updated without having to deliberately send a message and that is excellent but I'm so fed up with non apple devices and some websites either not working or being clunky that when my sat nav (Garmin Zumo XT) said I had to use the old software which is crap because Garmin Express does not work with Mac I threw my toys out of the pram.

They just don't put the work in for updates for the 7% of the population that use Mac. And I don't blame them.
So I will shortly have a laptop for travelling and am excited to see how Windows has changed in the last 15 years!

Anyway back on topic.

Just tried out a refillable pod with some ground coffee I had to buy because it was called BONKA 😂

It really wasn't very good at all but I think perhaps the refillable pod isn't the best. I might try a stainless steel version apparently they seal better and allow more pressure through the pod.

Tried to post a reply to SandwichShortOfAPicnic but the site wouldn't allow me to quote and reply!

I saw some paper filters designed for the refillable pods, I wonder if those would help? I am guessing it's residue you are having the issues with. I don't have a Keurig, mine is an iCoffee machine, and for some reason we don't have a residue issue (or at least not gritty enough of a residue to pay notice). I think I remember when we used our Keurig refillable pod that there were a few loose grinds in the cup, quite unpleasant.

Tried to post a reply to SandwichShortOfAPicnic but the site wouldn't allow me to quote and reply!

I saw some paper filters designed for the refillable pods, I wonder if those would help? I am guessing it's residue you are having the issues with. I don't have a Keurig, mine is an iCoffee machine, and for some reason we don't have a residue issue (or at least not gritty enough of a residue to pay notice). I think I remember when we used our Keurig refillable pod that there were a few loose grinds in the cup, quite unpleasant.
Not sure what those machines are or if they're in the UK. It wasn't the residue, it was the flavour. Might just been the BONKA coffee. Might try a stronger brand.

Not sure what those machines are or if they're in the UK. It wasn't the residue, it was the flavour. Might just been the BONKA coffee. Might try a stronger brand.
Yeah, I think single brew machines are probably mostly similar. Out of curiosity, what's the brand of your brewer? I know in the past I have heard complaints about Keurig machines where the water didn't get hot enough.

Tried to post a reply to @SandwichShortOfAPicnic but the site wouldn't allow me to quote and reply!
I'm not sure why, but you can reply to all parts of the post if you highlight a section (I've tried every section and it worked) just not all of it in one go for some odd reason!

Back
Top Bottom