The Cookbook Game #3

The first book I chose was from the 'R' category: Gordon Ramsay's Three Star Chef. All the recipes in the book are his own recipes served in his Michelin starred restaurant at that time (2008). Many of the recipes are quite complicated and contain expensive ingredients such as truffles or fresh lobster. The book begins with photos of the dishes and commentary by Ramsey. This is followed by the 50 recipes featured. It's not a book for beginner cooks. I'm quite experienced but nevertheless came to grief with the recipe I chose!

The recipe I chose was Char-grilled monkfish with confit duck, red and yellow peppers and red wine sauce. My choice of dish was based on the fact I already had a monkfish tail in the freezer as well as red & yellow peppers and chicken breasts. So all I need to do was buy some duck legs, which are easily found here in supermarkets. I'll add what happened next later!

41nIYaPBd8L._SX362_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The second book I chose was also in the 'R' category. Its a Sainsbury's publication from 1988 by Rosamond Richardson, so its a rather vintage publication. I'm rather fond of this little book. It has straightforward recipes with unusual ways to use spices. Its a book I've often used as inspiration but this is the first recipe I've cooked from it. The recipe I chose was Juniper Potato. I chose it because I love potatoes and juniper berries and I have both in the house at all times. I'll post how it turned out later.

fullsizeoutput_521e.jpeg

Thank you for doing all that for the game. I really appreciate that.

Almost 2 weeks and you are the 2nd one to finish.

Juniper Potatoes from The Spice Recipe Book by Rosamond Richardson. Its a sort of hash brown or potato pancake really. See my comments in the recipe thread. I added an egg on top, deep-fried sage leaves and urfa chilli flakes.

Here is the potato pancake before the egg goes on top. You can see the bits of juniper:

fullsizeoutput_5218.jpeg

And with egg:

fullsizeoutput_5212.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_520f.jpeg

Beautiful pictures as usual.

Thanks so much for playing the game.

Reminder:

Today is the last day to post your cookbook, recipe and review for game #3 (here in the US) We need all three to complete the game.

Reminder:

Today is the last day to post your cookbook, recipe and review for game #3 (here in the US) We need all three to complete the game.

Last full day but the deadline is midday Sunday 15th September (GMT +1) (UK time) which is 18 hours from now as I post. So if you are in the UK you have the whole of Sunday morning to post.

The Gordon Ramsay recipe - Char-grilled monkfish with confit duck, red and yellow peppers and red wine sauce.

I really do not want to post these photos. I overcooked the fish so it was inedible. I'm not even sure how it happened. I think I made the duck confit coating for the roulade too 'fatty' and it therefore took far too long to fry until crisp and brown, meaning the fish inside overcooked.

The first stage went OK - the chicken mousse was made and the fish encased:

fullsizeoutput_50f8.jpeg

20190904_121908.jpg

Then it was chilled.

Next stage was encasing in the duck confit:

fullsizeoutput_50f9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_50fa.jpeg

Then it was poached and chilled again.

Then it was unwrapped, grilled (fried) and finally went in the oven for the specified time.

The result:

fullsizeoutput_51e6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_51e2.jpeg

What am I missing? From what I can see, it looks perfect and delicious.

Back
Top Bottom