The Cookbook Game #3

cookieee

Local time
6:34 PM
Welcome to The Cookbook Game #3

What is the game all about and how do we play it?

The game is all about your cookbooks. If you are like me, you have cookbooks that have just been sitting on the shelves and haven't been opened in years. What a waste. This game is designed to change that.

First, count how many cookbooks you have. For each game, I will pick a number and that will be the cookbook you will be using for that game. If you don't have that # of cookbooks, count over till you reach that number. Then post what cookbook you will be using and tell us something about that book, if you want to. Then pick a recipe to make. The recipe should be a one you haven't made before. Post the recipe in full as a new thread and place a link back to it in this thread. Please include the title of the cookbook and the date of publication.

The Cookbook Game is all about getting us to use our unused/little used cookbooks and providing a review of your chosen recipe(s). In the spirit of the game, you are asked to stay as close as possible to the printed recipe, so please choose a recipe that appeals to you as it stands, for which you can readily obtain the ingredients and for which you won’t need to make major substitutions or additions. If, in the course of making the recipe, you find you need to make minor adjustments to get it to work (for example, increasing the cooking time to ensure the dish is properly cooked through, for health and safety reasons) then please explain what you did and why, in the recipe review.

This game's cookbook number is # 5
and/or a cookbook author/last name starting with a R

The deadline to play is midday Sunday 15th September (GMT +1)

Happy Cooking

Last edited by a moderator:
If we played in the last game are we carrying on counting from there? Or is it still back to the start of the shelf?

My R is probably Gordon Ramsay.
MG, as far as counting ones cookbooks go, I am leaving it up to the players. I am going to count both ways and see which cookbook I want to use more. lol

Your R is a good one, I like him but I have a hard time watching him sometimes.

MG, as far as counting ones cookbooks go, I am leaving it up to the players. I am going to count both ways and see which cookbook I want to use more. lol

Your R is a good one, I like him but I have a hard time watching him sometimes.

I know. A lot of people think that. But if you ever catch his series on cooking at home with his kids you will see a different side of him. I've cooked one recipe from the book I have and it was extremely good. And believe me, I don't often say that! So I'm hoping to find something equally as good.

I know I didn't make my planned soup(s) last time (I WILL make at least one of those in the near future, if not for the site challenge, but for my personal challenge)…

This month my own personal challenge is that any recipe I post online (anywhere) will be vegetarian. I really wanted to go veggie this month entirely, but logistics that I won't go into have dictated otherwise. However... at any rate... the cookbook I drew just now is Turkish Cookery. There are a lot of meat-oriented dishes in this, but sufficient veggie choices that I'll have a recipe for you by the latest of early next week.

I am looking at a couple savory ideas that intrigue me...

Oh darn, I just found out that I counted wrong the last game. And if I count from the last number, 5 more brings me into my R cookbooks anyway.

So, #5 is "The Best Barbecue on Earth" by Rick Browne, pub.2008.

I have 2 bookcases I use. The one out here with me in the office is mostly BBQ books, and all the others are in the 2nd bookcase in my bedroom.

Bookcase #1 R's
Raichlen, Steven = 21 books
Rodgers, Rick = "Barbecues 101"
Rosbottom, Betty = "The Big Book of Backyard Cooking"

Last edited:
This month my own personal challenge is that any recipe I post online (anywhere) will be vegetarian. I really wanted to go veggie this month entirely, but logistics that I won't go into have dictated otherwise. However... at any rate... the cookbook I drew just now is Turkish Cookery. There are a lot of meat-oriented dishes in this, but sufficient veggie choices that I'll have a recipe for you by the latest of early next week.

Well done for going veggie! I find it easy as I was vegetarian for years and also cooked mainly vega until the youngest son & daughter moved out (son was vegan, daughter vegetarian). Even now I eat 75% vegetarian. Turkish food is very good with vegetables - and packed with flavours. I look forward to your entry.:okay:

ATM from my cookbook there's a red lentil soup I plan on making shortly - and I HAVE all the ingredients.

The author uses margarine frequently - I will never willingly purchase margarine, so any subsequent recipes will be subbed out with butter (the above choice contains neither).

This book(Turkish Cookery) is not exactly well-written - but I am intrigued!

I've just realised what a difficult challenge I'm facing with the Gordon Ramsay book. This is a book of original recipes from his 3 star Michelin restaurant. So we are talking ultimate high end cooking. There isn't anything simple and lot of the recipes contain combinations of expensive ingredients. However - I am not daunted. In fact, I'm pleased its a real challenge for me. The dish I'm planning contains: monkfish, confit duck, chicken mousse, peppers, spinach plus some courgettes & mushrooms.

The duck arrives tomorrow and I'll start with the making the confit duck and chicken mousse. Then on Wednesday the whole dish (if all goes well).

I've just realised what a difficult challenge I'm facing with the Gordon Ramsay book. This is a book of original recipes from his 3 star Michelin restaurant. So we are talking ultimate high end cooking. There isn't anything simple and lot of the recipes contain combinations of expensive ingredients. However - I am not daunted. In fact, I'm pleased its a real challenge for me. The dish I'm planning contains:

Monkfish, confit duck, chicken mousse, peppers, spinach plus some courgettes & mushrooms. The duck arrives tomorrow.

That's the problem I have with a couple of my cookbooks, especially the one written by Hubert Keller.

I've just realised what a difficult challenge I'm facing with the Gordon Ramsay book. This is a book of original recipes from his 3 star Michelin restaurant. So we are talking ultimate high end cooking. There isn't anything simple and lot of the recipes contain combinations of expensive ingredients. However - I am not daunted. In fact, I'm pleased its a real challenge for me. The dish I'm planning contains: monkfish, confit duck, chicken mousse, peppers, spinach plus some courgettes & mushrooms.

The duck arrives tomorrow and I'll start with the making the confit duck and chicken mousse. Then on Wednesday the whole dish (if all goes well).
What time is the party?

I'll look the other way if you two want to pick another book. lol

Back
Top Bottom