The Cookbook Game #6

I do have a number of choices here.

Number 68: American Cooking: Creole and Acadian: Foods of the World by Time Life Books (1971). So I might be picking something retro here...

S books:

Michael and Jane Stern
Suvir Saran (2 books)
Hiroko Shimbo
Mark Sisson
Amelia Simmons (truly retro... Colonial retro...)
Barbara Swell
Walter Staib
Hank Shaw (2 books)

Have yet to decide.
Now you have me going crazy. The only one I know of your books are the Sterns. Used to read their column in the paper.

DH was about to make breakfast this morning from one of the S books. At the very last minute he remembered we are out of eggs. So we had cold cereal. :yuck: What a bummer. I think I'll wait and see if we have it tomorrow before I go typing it up. (hint-it also goes in one of the other threads also.)

The Sterns:

Now you have me going crazy. The only one I know of your books are the Sterns. Used to read their column in the paper.

From Wikipedia:
Jane Grossman Stern and Michael Stern (both born 1946) are American writers who specialize in books about travel, food, and popular culture. They are best known for their Roadfood books, website, and magazine columns, in which they find road food restaurants serving classic American regional specialties and review them. Starting their hunt for regional American food in the early 1970s they were the first food writers to regard this food as being as worthy to report on as the haute cuisine of other nations.

Since the Sterns began documenting regional American food in the 1970s many other writers and television personalities have used their pioneering work as inspiration. In addition to their early work with regional American food the Sterns' book Square Meals (Knopf 1985) put "comfort foods" like mac and cheese, meatloaf, and mashed potatoes on the culinary map. Square Meals did an audacious reverse spin on the tricked up and precious nouvelle cuisine that was beloved by food critics at that time.

After a short stint of producing documentaries for WNBC, a teaching job at Hunter College and another at Wesleyan University they began work on the book that eventually became the first Roadfood. The book was conceived as a book on "truck-stop dining," funded with an advance from a publisher. The Sterns set out in their car to travel through the United States and eat up to 12 meals daily at diners and local cafes.[1] The resulting first edition of Roadfood was published in 1977; the most recent edition was released in 2017.

I only have one of their books: A Taste of America, which is a combination of cookbook and discussion of some road stop venues they've made across the US. Pubbed 1988, so many of the eateries they discuss are probably no longer in existence.

I may pick one of their recipes, or I may pick something from Walter Staib's "City Tavern" - a restaurant in colonial Philadelphia that after a reincarnation or two appears to exist until today.

Thank you, that was very interesting reading. I have about 10 of their articles from their "Taste of America" column in the paper dating back to the late 80"s and early 90's. Never did get their cookbook. Glad you did.

DH was about to make breakfast this morning from one of the S books. At the very last minute he remembered we are out of eggs. So we had cold cereal. :yuck: What a bummer. I think I'll wait and see if we have it tomorrow before I go typing it up. (hint-it also goes in one of the other threads also.)
Another change of plans. DH has to be somewhere early tomorrow, so this recipe will not be made until Saturday. But, I am going to type it up now.

It is from an S cookbook "Back to the Table-The Reunion of Food and Family" Art Smith-pub 2001 - I can't say too much about this book or I will start crying again. And that is just from reading a small portion of this book. Near the front of the book he writes this. "SETTING THE TABLE-Warm, welcoming meals begin with the table. An empty table is like a canvas, but if you take a few minutes to consider who will be sitting at it, what food will grace it, and what the mood of the meal is likely to be, your instincts will guide you as to how to set it." The next chapter is BLESS THE TABLE- with about 12 pages of pictures and blessings. Another chapter is FOOD AS LOVE - he says "We have the power to nurture and love each other through food".

Recipe - Sweet Potato-Pecan Waffles

Last edited:
I just found a note tucked in the book above. It is from Del Monte congratulating me on receiving this book from them for participating in their survey. I forgot all about that. This was back in 06'

I also forgot to mention. Art Smith, at one time was the personal chef for Oprah Winfrey.

MG, I don't know about you, but my #68 is one shy of running into the S books. It's "The Big Book of Backyard Cooking" by Betty Rosbottom, pub. 2004. More about it if it is chosen.
Well, so far this game is paying off. I checked through my #68 and sad to say, nothing very interesting in it. Either a lot of the recipes had ingredients (herbs) that we don't like, or simple things that we have made already or I already have a lot of recipes similar. So, this book went into the box of books to be sold or donated. That leaves just my S books, and a empty space for 1 more book to come out of the bedroom bookcase. lol

MG, I don't know about you, but my #68 is one shy of running into the S books. It's "The Big Book of Backyard Cooking" by Betty Rosbottom, pub. 2004. More about it if it is chosen.

My books aren't arranged alphabetically. They aren't in any logical order!

Aggggggg, I couldn't handle that. If you lived closer, I would do it for you. (if you wanted it done. lol)

Its not possible as the shelves are different heights and the books are different heights. So some books will not fit on some shelves. I do know where they all are - I really do!

Its not possible as the shelves are different heights and the books are different heights. So some books will not fit on some shelves. I do know where they all are - I really do!
OK, I don't have that problem. DH made all my bookcases (except for 2 that my father made for me years ago) and they are all the same size. Darn, there goes my excuse to go to the UK. lol (and the fact I won't fly. lol)

So, what are you two doing about the game? Do you have to check every cookbook to see who is the author?

So, what are you two doing about the game? Do you have to check every cookbook to see who is the author?

Well, I just went through the shelves and looked for S surnames. It took me a few minutes. As I said before I only have two recipe book 's' authors: Rick Stein & Nigel Slater.

A 30 second glance at the shelf produced 3 books which may have the last name staring with S. I need to check one because I'm not familiar with the Japanese naming system when it had been westernized... Amazon will tell me.

It took longer to count through my cookbooks to get to number 68 because I don't have that many which hubby decided to point out mid way through my counting.

Back
Top Bottom