The Cookbook Game #6

I won't go into how mine are arranged, only to say since I started this game here, they are not the same. lol

Maybe by the time this game ends, we will all have a different system. (if we have any cookbooks left. lol)

I hate to say this, again, but, no waffles this morning. DH had to leave early again.

I have a Rick Stein recipe in mind which uses broad beans and black pudding - a winning pairing in my eyes. Its from his book Rick Stein's Spain, based on the TV series.

81qjWLpGm5L.jpg

Another change of plans. DH has to be somewhere early tomorrow, so this recipe will not be made until Saturday. But, I am going to type it up now.

It is from an S cookbook "Back to the Table-The Reunion of Food and Family" Art Smith-pub 2001 - I can't say too much about this book or I will start crying again. And that is just from reading a small portion of this book. Near the front of the book he writes this. "SETTING THE TABLE-Warm, welcoming meals begin with the table. An empty table is like a canvas, but if you take a few minutes to consider who will be sitting at it, what food will grace it, and what the mood of the meal is likely to be, your instincts will guide you as to how to set it." The next chapter is BLESS THE TABLE- with about 12 pages of pictures and blessings. Another chapter is FOOD AS LOVE - he says "We have the power to nurture and love each other through food".

Recipe - Sweet Potato-Pecan Waffles
We finally had this for breakfast today. We both found the waffles to be very, very good. We have enough left over for a few more breakfasts. Goody!! lol

:woot: Hey guys!! I completed the game first. lol

Last edited:
I love liver and onions. DH doesn't. But he will cook it for me and he also buys me liverwurst. But that is as far as I will go. lol

This is a new book given to me when I was visiting the UK back in August.

It just qualifies under the letter S.

The recipe we chose is actually called Faki Soup which means soup soup, so I've just called it Faki.

There were 2 last minute changes which won't really affect it. Brown lentils had to be swapped out for green lentils. Both are whole and good their shape so it shouldn't have affected it and somewhat surprisingly my cupboard shelves were bare of tinned tomatoes but I had fresh, so I made my own equivalent...

Recipe - Faki

As for the soup, it was simple, very easy to make and very tasty. One we would happily have again.

This is a new book given to me when I was visiting the UK back in August.

View attachment 33790

It just qualifies under the letter S.

The recipe we chose is actually called Faki Soup which means soup soup, so I've just called it Faki.

There were 2 last minute changes which won't really affect it. Brown lentils had to be swapped out for green lentils. Both are whole and good their shape so it shouldn't have affected it and somewhat surprisingly my cupboard shelves were bare of tinned tomatoes but I had fresh, so I made my own equivalent...

Recipe - Faki

As for the soup, it was simple, very easy to make and very tasty. One we would happily have again.
Hope you read my post on the soup thread.

Thanks SavNav for playing.

My grocery shopping day this week will be Friday. Okay, I stopped into the local Mom and Pop corner grocery to pick up a bag of ice, and grab something for last night's dinner, but they really don't have a real selection of things.

I WILL be using Walter Staib's The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine. (The historian, David McCullough, even writes the Forward.) The birthplace is apparently Philadelphia. (What do I know??)

The recipe will be cooked either Friday or Saturday - There are several choices. Pork Ragout is of interest, as are any number of vegetarian choices. If I (or maybe you???) are lucky, I may make more than one recipe - if so, the second will not happen until Monday or Tuesday next week.

Back
Top Bottom