The CookingBites Cookalong: Boeuf Bourguignon or Mushroom Bourguignon

Status
Not open for further replies.
@morning glory

Yes, very earthy .. It is a real pretty dish too with lots of color .. I really look forward to this one ..

Do the beetroots make the whole dish go red/purple? Just wondering. I have some golden beetroot in the fridge which needs using and thought I might make a version of your recipe. Maybe I will use white burgundy!

I have ordered some cubed topside from my Western food supplier for delivery on this coming Friday. Bht 380.00 (US$ 11.50) per kg.

Well, I now have the beef and a list of what else I need, viz:

Bacon, button mushrooms, carrot, onion, plain flour, dry apple cider, garlic, shallots, basil and bay leaf. Everything "in stock" except carrot and shallots.

Well, I now have the beef and a list of what else I need, viz:

Bacon, button mushrooms, carrot, onion, plain flour, dry apple cider, garlic, shallots, basil and bay leaf. Everything "in stock" except carrot and shallots.

Onions can be subbed for shallots but I do think whole shallots look so pretty and its lovely to bite into a whole soft one rather than just bits of sliced onion. Will you be able to get carrots?

Will you be able to get carrots?

Sometimes they are not available but generally yes. If not, I'll just leave them out.

[No shopping accomplished today - lawn mower problems]

carrot size.jpg

[Edit: We obtained carrots today - 50p/kg]

Last edited:
I was out looking for a Pyrex type casserole dish this morning (I broke the lid of our 240mm one) without success. I'm considering using the slow cooker instead. I reckon two hours for the beef/onions then another hour after the mushrooms and bacon are added.

That sounds about right. I used a slow cooker for my beef version (above). I needed to reduce the sauce a bit though after it had cooked.

I was out looking for a Pyrex type casserole dish this morning (I broke the lid of our 240mm one) without success. I'm considering using the slow cooker instead. I reckon two hours for the beef/onions then another hour after the mushrooms and bacon are added.

Apparently, my wife tells me that I broke the lid of the 200 mm one - we still have the 240 mm one intact. In my declining years, I'd be lost without her memory.

Size isn't everything, @Yorky. :D

We've had trouble getting shallots. Red onions OK but the shallots have been minute - these are the largest we could find but still too small for my arthritic hands. My wife will deal with them. (bowl 150 mm diameter).

shallots-oct s.jpg

We've had trouble getting shallots. Red onions OK but the shallots have been minute - these are the largest we could find but still too small for my arthritic hands. My wife will deal with them. (bowl 150 mm diameter).

View attachment 10806
Absolute top tip if she hasn't peeled them already. Cover them in boiling water for at least ten minutes. The skins come off easily. I used to avoid shallots until I discovered this !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom