We are veering off track (critting a third party recipe!). Back to the point. Everyone seems to think that dried pinto beans can be used. So, are you going to make some pinto bean falafel @Cinisajoy? I might well try this myself.
I am going to try. No guarantees, we will have to see what the beans look like after a 24 hour soak.

I am going to try. No guarantees, we will have to see what the beans look like after a 24 hour soak.
They probably won't look promising! I've been blitzing soaked dried peas and I don't think my mini chopper is up to the job. I ended up putting them in a freezer bag and pounding them with the end of a rolling pin! This is probably more like the way they would have been made traditionally - pounded with a pestle and mortar. Tomorrow I cook them!

They probably won't look promising! I've been blitzing soaked dried peas and I don't think my mini chopper is up to the job. I ended up putting them in a freezer bag and pounding them with the end of a rolling pin! This is probably more like the way they would have been made traditionally - pounded with a pestle and mortar. Tomorrow I cook them!
Small mortar and pestle I have.

I know. Thanks for the sort of confirmation.
In all honesty, that looked like a gringo-mexican bean burger shoved in a pita.
You have to consider in the US, pretty much anything goes on names.
I am still trying to figure out why she thought an avocado would tone down the spiciness. Especially since she had no fiery spices and avocado is not dairy.

@Cinisajoy

Honestly, I did not really go indepth Reading the récipe. I just was looking to see if Pinto Beans were used in Falafel ..

Have a nice afternoon.

Real late here, 1.00 am !!

No need to explain. Though we do now know one can use canned pinto beans.

It is not advised as there is too much liquid even when drained thoroughly.

I posted in Pulses, 2 Falafel récipes from an Israeli Chef friend of the family. You should take a look ..

Have a nice day ..

My first attempt a complete disaster. I used dried peas, soaked for 24 hrs and then ground in a mini chopper and then pounded further in a pestle and mortar - lots of spices, garlic, chilli. They made perfect falafel balls and deep fried to a lovely golden brown with fantastic green interiors. But there was no doubt about it, the peas were not cooked. They remained crunchy and raw.

This was the mix before forming the falafel:

20170702_132555.jpg

As you can see - it is a pretty colour. But anyway, all was not lost. The mix was cooked with some added water and turned into a delicious spicy pea dhal which you will see featured shortly in an entry for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Garden Peas

I have some fava beans (broad beans) soaking at the moment - so round two coming up tomorrow.

Round two:
The Fava beans (dried broad beans) soaked for 48 hrs with three changes of water then blitzed in a food chopper and mashed in a pestle and mortar. Tomorrow I make up the recipe. It looks more promising than the last attempt.

20170704_183812.jpg

I will give it a try but have to buy some dried chickpeas or broad beans first. Funnily enough, the first two recipes I looked at (on the BBC Food and BBC Good Food sites) both use canned chickpeas. I might give one of them a try first :D

Round two:
The Fava beans (dried broad beans) soaked for 48 hrs with three changes of water then blitzed in a food chopper and mashed in a pestle and mortar. Tomorrow I make up the recipe. It looks more promising than the last attempt.

View attachment 8859
Hey how did it go? After your disaster with chickpeas, I decided not to try with pinto beans.
Though now I am hungry for pinto beans.

Back
Top Bottom