The CookingBites Cookalong: Pasta Carbonara

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that the plate also look purple/blue. Not sure we can get those pretty pippies here...

Oh... they do too. Not sure why...was a bit of a process making the pasta, trying to video it, going through the steps of the cabonara and that. My little battery powered lcd lights were struggling In fading light a bit by the time I was done to take some pics... and if I turn on the kitchen florescent light you get a weird yellow tinge.

Last edited:
Probably should mention too, am only using a simple point and shoot camera for both my pics and videos. And I also can't afford fancy programmes like Photoshop and Lightroom.

I have had SLR's in the past and use to photograph birds (long ago) but they've been totally manual cameras (focus and exposure) .... my favourite was a Pentax K1000 that I used for several years.. So I get the principles of the importance of exposure/shutter speed, etc, but haven't worked it out with these little cameras with confounding menus, etc

Last edited:
Probably should mention too, am only using a simple point and shoot camera for both my pics and videos. And I also can't afford fancy programmes like Photoshop and Lightroom.

I have had SLR's in the past and use to photograph birds (long ago) but they've been totally manual cameras (focus and exposure) .... my favourite was a Pentax K1000 that I used for several years.. So I get the principles of the importance of exposure/shutter speed, etc, but haven't worked it out with these little cameras with confounding menus, etc

I simply use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Smartphone - point and shoot! Then I sometimes tweak using 'photos' facility which comes with the Mac.

Recipe - Pizza Carbonara

Ok, I swapped out pasta for pizza, but otherwise, all the flavors of a traditional carbonara are there.

First, I made a same-day half-bread flour/half-whole wheat flour dough, then put some grated Romano (and some Parmesan as well) over it. I must say, this dough opened easily and beautifully:

Then I added some crisp pancetta:

And some fresh mozzarella (I didn't have any of the fior di latte mentioned in the recipe):

Into the oven for several minutes, then on with the eggs. I did break two in my haste, but I was fine with that:

This is how it came out. One egg was perfect, two were broken (though one of those was still quite runny) and one that was directly under the element blistered a bit:

The wife took both intact yolks, so I had one of the broken ones (and the other one shortly after that). Steamed broccoli tossed in cherry tomatoes that were cooked down in the rendered pancetta fat, along with some garlic:

My review: first, this was a slightly sturdier dough than I like, owing to the whole wheat flour. I'm trying to eat more of that, but it just doesn't work for light-but-chewy crust. It was fine, but just not what I prefer.

The flavors worked well together. The pancetta was the dominant player, until some of the runny yolk mixed in, and that gave it the expected richness.

We'll occasionally have breakfast pizzas, with bacon, eggs, and a creamy sauce made from cottage cheese, so this was a familiar dish, and quite good.

Last edited:
I wanted to add, the little bit of lemon zest called for at the end was an excellent touch. It really enhanced the entire pizza.

I gathered my ingredients, but could not find guancale, as expected. I did find some pancetta, and it was a good brand (Boar's Head), but it was pre-diced, smaller than I would like. Being pre-diced, it is a bit drier than I would like. I'm not sure if it will have the fat I need for a good carbonara.

I have some outstanding American bacon that I usually use. It is not traditional. I am torn between trying to be traditional, and using the best ingredient I have available to me right here, right now.

What would you do? I hope MypinchofItaly has an opinion, and it is what I think it will be.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
I gathered my ingredients, but could not find guancale, as expected. I did find some pancetta, and it was a good brand (Boar's Head), but it was pre-diced, smaller than I would like. Being pre-diced, it is a bit drier than I would like. I'm not sure if it will have the fat I need for a good carbonara.

I have some outstanding American bacon that I usually use. It is not traditional. I am torn between trying to be traditional, and using the best ingredient I have available to me right here, right now.

What would you do? I hope MypinchofItaly has an opinion, and it is what I think it will be.

CD

A lot of fat came out of the pancetta I used, though I did have to dice it up myself and I made quite large cubes (too large I think). And I used rather a lot, about 250gms, for a relatively small amount of pasta so that probably accounted for the amount of fat rendered too. Good luck!!

CD
Kroger had pre-diced pancetta. I've used it before, and it renders more than enough fat; 2-3 TB from that little plastic tray. It's what I used for mine (both dishes), and I liked it.

As to what I'd do in your situation...I'd always go with best local ingredient. Think about it: part of what makes a dish "traditional" to begin with is that, way back in the old days, the cooks who were creating these dishes for the first time used the best that they had on hand, available locally. I doubt if the first person to make carbonara said, "Right. I'm making this dish, and I think instead of a red sauce, I want...eggs that cook just from the heat of the pasta. And little bits of meat in there...salami won't do...nor will prosciutto. I know! Guanciale! Nothing else will do!"

No, more likely, they said, "I'm hungry. I've got pasta, eggs, some cheese, and this hunk of pig cheek lying around. What can I do with that? Oh, what the hell, I'll cook the pasta, dump some egg and cheese on it, and chop this pork up a bit for some meat. There. Supper's sorted!"

Not to get too touchy-feely, but to me, using the best, though not exact, ingredient, pays homage to the spirit of the people who first developed it, to their creativity in using local ingredients.

Kroger had pre-diced pancetta. I've used it before, and it renders more than enough fat; 2-3 TB from that little plastic tray. It's what I used for mine (both dishes), and I liked it.

That's the exact product I found at my Kroger. I assume yours was also Boar's Head, as that is what Kroger carries as a premium brand.

I think I will try it, and see how it turns out. As long as it renders out enough fat to make the carbonara right, I guess I can live with the small dice.

CD

That's the exact product I found at my Kroger. I assume yours was also Boar's Head, as that is what Kroger carries as a premium brand.

I think I will try it, and see how it turns out. As long as it renders out enough fat to make the carbonara right, I guess I can live with the small dice.

CD
Yep - just look for a tray with some fatty bits in it. For fun, you might want to grab their own Private Selection brand and compare that. I've tried them both, and I think the Boar's Head was more strongly flavored of pork, where the Kroger brand had a slightly sour taste that I kind of like. Maybe it was just spoiled. :laugh:

What's funny is that at my Kroger, the Boar's Head is at one end of the deli department, in their sort of premium area, and the Private Selection stuff is way at the other end, in the same area where they have pre-made sandwiches and stuff.

As to what I'd do in your situation...I'd always go with best local ingredient. Think about it: part of what makes a dish "traditional" to begin with is that, way back in the old days, the cooks who were creating these dishes for the first time used the best that they had on hand, available locally. I doubt if the first person to make carbonara said, "Right. I'm making this dish, and I think instead of a red sauce, I want...eggs that cook just from the heat of the pasta. And little bits of meat in there...salami won't do...nor will prosciutto. I know! Guanciale! Nothing else will do!"

No, more likely, they said, "I'm hungry. I've got pasta, eggs, some cheese, and this hunk of pig cheek lying around. What can I do with that? Oh, what the hell, I'll cook the pasta, dump some egg and cheese on it, and chop this pork up a bit for some meat. There. Supper's sorted!"

Not to get too touchy-feely, but to me, using the best, though not exact, ingredient, pays homage to the spirit of the people who first developed it, to their creativity in using local ingredients.

How much things you know about the origin of dishes, especially ours.

CD

If you haven't found guanciale, it doesn't matter, you'll have a chance another time, but if you have a great product right here, right now, why snub it?
I'd use it without any doubt, absolutely.

I don't know the pancetta you've got there, if you're afraid it might be too dry and with little fat, you can always add a little oil.
That's what I do: the pre-diced pancetta I use sometimes instead of guanciale (yes, because sometimes I can't find the guanciale, but I don't give up the carbonara for this reason) happens that it doesn't have enough fat, then I add the oil in which to make it sizzle. And it's just perfect.

German carbonara with spaetzle, home cured and smoked German/Austrian speck and cabbage.

full.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom