The CookingBites Cookalong: Pasta Carbonara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry - I should have wrapped up this thread earlier. A big thank you to Yorky, TastyReuben, murphyscreek & medtran49 who all made delicious looking contributions.

In fact I never did write up the recipe for the Brown Shrimp Carbonara I made (I must!).

Yes please, looks interesting.

I doubt you can get brown shrimps, a UK species - not the same as shrimp as is known in the US (which is prawns to us). I'm not sure what could be subbed. The other ingredients I used were mace (traditional in potted brown shrimps) and bottarga. Would that work with other seafood, I wonder? Maybe crabmeat would be good instead of the brown shrimps.

1582138063230.png

Brown Shrimp | Britishseafishing.co.uk

I'm sure there's some kind of shrimp available here that can be substituted. Remember, we have the whole East and West coasts, plus the Gulf coast.

I doubt you can get brown shrimps, a UK species - not the same as shrimp as is known in the US (which is prawns to us). I'm not sure what could be subbed. The other ingredients I used were mace (traditional in potted brown shrimps) and bottarga. Would that work with other seafood, I wonder? Maybe crabmeat would be good instead of the brown shrimps.

View attachment 37882

Brown Shrimp | Britishseafishing.co.uk

After a quick search, your UK brown shrimp grow in similar waters and conditions a Gulf brown shrimp found in the Western Gulf of Mexico off Texas. I believe that the warmer water here leads to a larger range in sizes. But, they should taste the same

The whole prawn vs shrimp thing throws confusion into the process, but "prawn" and "shrimp" are common names, not scientific names. It's kind of like biscuit and cookie.

If your recipe called for UK brown shrimp, I'd probably go with Texas Gulf brown shrimp, and pick a size that is roughly the same.

I have to think about this.
Pasta is out for the time being. Perhaps I could use spaghetti squash or zucchini ribbons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom