The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of that, I'm not that crazy about dessert pies, anyway. They're a take-it-or-leave-it thing with me. I'm a cake fellow. And I don't like nuts in cakes.

Hi mate, as the next judge I probably shouldn't say this but I reckon there are some nice cake, slice, and biscuit recipes out there using almond flour, instead of wheat based flours. They have the added benefit of being suitable for those on keto and/or gluten free diets as well.

In saying that, I'm hoping to see a few savoury dishes as well. And Morning Glory , I hadn't thought of almond milk so am very curious to see any recipes using it as is an ingredient I've never tried to use myself.

Anyway, not trying to influence anyone's decisions here. Will keep stumm now on this thread till judging time.

Last edited:
I nearly forgot that I did make a dessert recipe with almonds going on three years ago:

img_0995-jpg.jpg

Almond cookies are a weakness of mine. I can pass up just about any other cookie, but I can't resist one (or more) of these. I always made a point of buying some when I went to Chinese restaurants, but I haven't been able to do that for a long time, obviously.

If someone else wants to make them, please do. I want to find an excuse to make them again, even if I can't enter them in the Challenge.

Amaretto may be derived from almonds, so I'll probably start with an amaretto sour. 🍹

I've taken ice cream balls and rolled those in crushed almond cookies and then sprinkled amaretto on for extra flavor for a quick dessert. Very good!

I nearly forgot that I did make a dessert recipe with almonds going on three years ago:

View attachment 45847

Almond cookies are a weakness of mine. I can pass up just about any other cookie, but I can't resist one (or more) of these. I always made a point of buying some when I went to Chinese restaurants, but I haven't been able to do that for a long time, obviously.

If someone else wants to make them, please do. I want to find an excuse to make them again, even if I can't enter them in the Challenge.
Why in the world couldn't you make them for the challenge? You've got all month!

Amaretto may be derived from almonds, so I'll probably start with an amaretto sour. 🍹

I've taken ice cream balls and rolled those in crushed almond cookies and then sprinkled amaretto on for extra flavor for a quick dessert. Very good!
My mother used to make a chocolate-almond and amaretto cheesecake from scratch that was the bomb. If someone could figure out how to make the crust with almond flour that would be amazing.

What have the nuts done to deserve all this hatred?!:D
I don't hate nuts. I just like them for snacking out of hand, especially around the holidays. It ain't Christmas without nuts! :)

Not to mention the pies? Who doesn't love pie? I guess TR...
"Pie" to me means meat/pot pie first and foremost. When I see something with a flaky top and bottom crust, my first thought is something savory, then I find out it's a sugary cooked fruit filling. 😒

It's a short ride from ecstasy to disappointment.

I didn't know that was a rule. They weren't entered in a challenge before, right? If so, maybe you could tweak the recipe and change it up a bit?

I don't hate nuts. I just like them for snacking out of hand, especially around the holidays. It ain't Christmas without nuts! :)

"Pie" to me means meat/pot pie first and foremost. When I see something with a flaky top and bottom crust, my first thought is something savory, then I find out it's a sugary cooked fruit filling. 😒

It's a short ride from ecstasy to disappointment.
Do you like strudel?

Edited because I misspelled strudel the first time.

Last edited:
Well, since I wouldn't make my own almond milk or almond flour, I wouldn't see the need to make my own almond booze. 🥴
Oh I would. I totally would make my own almond milk and almond flour for a challenge. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis for my own needs. I suppose it might take awhile to make almond liquer, might not be ready in time for the challenge deadline.

I used to brew beer when I was in college. I was quite popular.

Do you like streudel?
Yes...without nuts. The German bakers here (most of them anyway) make it both ways. When I make it at home, I use a nut-free recipe.

Anticipating your next line of inquiry...I'm fine with nut pastes, like what might be used with baklava. The stöllen we get at Christmas has a rope of almond paste running through it, about as big around as a quarter, I could eat that all day.

I used to brew beer when I was in college. I was quite popular.
I brewed beer for years, starting in 1993 and ending in 2005, and I entered one competition in 1995, and for the first time ever, they awarded two first prizes because they couldn't decide on a single winner - and one was mine.

The funny part - it was nearing the time of my rotating out of the UK, I had just days left, and I had a 15 or so 22oz bottles left. The air base was drawing down, so nearly everyone was gone, I'd given beer to my coworkers, neighbors, etc and still had those last bottles left.

The village competition required three bottles, and I entered mainly as a way to divest myself of a few bottles. When I co-won, guess what the first prize was? A <bleeping> case of beer! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom