The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to the almond milk, as was discussed in an earlier topic, I'm not a curious eater/taster. I don't look at things and say, "Hmmmm...I need to try that." I usually need a pretty compelling reason to do so.

The most compelling reason is that it's healthier. It's lower in fat, has fewer calories, and is higher in a more easily absorbed form of calcium than cows milk.

Edited to add that I didn't mean to sound preachy. It's not exactly like I am a health "nut" LOL (says the person who made biscuits and sausage gravy with eggs and cheddar cheese for breakfast).

Last edited:
Do you like nuts in banana bread or pies?

I can see the possibility of making the almonds a star in a pie, but banana bread with some almonds in it just doesn't sound like almonds as the star of the show.

I like almonds. I like them smoked. I like them glazed. I'm not sure how to handle this challenge.

CD

Not to mention the pies? Who doesn't love pie? I guess TR...

Pecan pie is a huge thing in Texas. The Texas legislature named it the State Pie of Texas. I like pecans, but hate pecan pie.

Something tells me an almond pie done in the style of pecan pie would be a good entry, for somebody -- just not me.

Unknown.jpeg

Pecan pie photo credit - Pillsbury.com

CD

Almond milk can be used in more or less any recipe specifying regular milk and that means savoury recipes too. Its creamier than cow's milk, to my taste buds. I suggest you might buy some almond milk just to try it? I use the non-sweetened sort.

I'll paraphrase comedian Lewis Black for my thoughts on almond milk. There is no such thing as nut milk. There's nut juice. I know this, because nuts don't have teats! :D

CD

I can see the possibility of making the almonds a star in a pie, but banana bread with some almonds in it just doesn't sound like almonds as the star of the show.

I like almonds. I like them smoked. I like them glazed. I'm not sure how to handle this challenge.

CD
If you made it with almond flour it would be.

Make some Almond Praline. blitz to rough powder. Fold into whipped cream and pipe into your choux ring to make a Paris-Brest. this was my first test dish in Patisserie school.

Ingredients
Method
  1. Melt the caster sugar in a frying pan until it turns golden or reaches 300C/570F on a sugar thermometer - take care here as the sugar will be very hot.
  2. Add the almonds and lemon juice, stir well and then spoon onto a silicon-lined baking sheet.
  3. Leave to cool

Recipes must be posted as new threads. I will move it. Is this an entry? If so it needs to be correctly tagged.

Ohh goody! Now I have an excuse to make a hedgehog cheese ball or a pinecone cheese ball.

I've made cashew milk before for something., a vegetarian/vegan dish I think. Don't see why almond milk couldn't be made the same way. I've also made almond flour before since I just needed a small amount. It didn't come out quite as fine as commercial made, but it worked even though it put the food processor through a workout.

Ohh goody! Now I have an excuse to make a hedgehog cheese ball or a pinecone cheese ball.

I've made cashew milk before for something., a vegetarian/vegan dish I think. Don't see why almond milk couldn't be made the same way. I've also made almond flour before since I just needed a small amount. It didn't come out quite as fine as commercial made, but it worked even though it put the food processor through a workout.
I love a good cheeseball, and I make them at the holidays, so I hadn't even thought about that.

Recipes must be posted as new threads. I will move it. Is this an entry? If so it needs to be correctly tagged.
Nope, we are making Apple strudel with whizzed almonds and raisin tomorrow. I am hoping that Mrs Blank will make to much filo so we can make Serbian Baklava. It is stuffed with nuts the folded like a great big samosa. Then left in a fragrant syrup to marinate over night. They should look like the pic. The base of the isosceles is about 3 inches. They float on the surface of the syrup like little ducks, only when the ducks sink to the bottom do you know they are ready.
I will try to post correctly.

Let's get things started with an appetizer/snack:

Recipe - Honey-Glazed Almonds

First off, very easy, though it was hard not to eat the almonds as-is, because my almond preference is for them to be raw, since they're a good bit softer that way.

I was a little curious as to why the author specified a 2-cup measure for such a scant amount of glaze, but apparently, honey likes to climb the cup when microwaved. Now I know.

The glaze itself is sweet, and doesn't really taste all that much of honey (I'm not that fond of honey, so that's a good thing), and making these again, I might up the spices a bit, and I'd probably use table salt instead of kosher salt (or more kosher salt), because raw nuts can take a lot of salt, and these taste like they need a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom