The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Almonds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried almond milk. I found it rather watery and without substance. I don't use milk of any kind very often, so I will stick with whole cow milk when working on a recipe. But I will say it is indeed better than soy or rice milk, and thus usable.
I gotcha about the recipes. It could really skew a recipe unless the recipe called for it already.

My main use of almond milk is just for cereal or my coffee. I use very little when I eat cereal. In my coffee, I use the vanilla protein powder with it, so really not a noticeable difference.

I gotcha about the recipes. It could really skew a recipe unless the recipe called for it already.

My main use of almond milk is just for cereal or my coffee. I use very little when I eat cereal. In my coffee, I use the vanilla protein powder with it, so really not a noticeable difference.

I wouldn't have any idea what to make with almond milk. I drink moo-cow milk. Organic. White, and chocolate.

CD

I wouldn't have any idea what to make with almond milk. I drink moo-cow milk. Organic. White, and chocolate.

CD
Nice that you like the taste of milk. I was really happy to discover almond, oat, etc. since I do not. I kinda stick with water (or wine and other libations).

Oh, I like me some vodka. Oooooooo, what about smoking some almonds and infusing them in Vodka??? :chef:

CD
This idea brings up many questions. Would you use the vodka smoked-almond flavor in a liquid libation, or would you cook out the alcohol into a dry product containing those ingredients...and would you serve them together if you did both?

You can makealmost anything with almond 'milk' which you might make with dairy milk. Cheese sauce, for example.

My thinking is that I may as well use cow's milk. It's far easier to obtain here. Is there a discernible taste difference?

I can see the possibility of making the almonds a star in a pie, but banana bread with some almonds in it just doesn't sound like almonds as the star of the show.

The thing is that this recipe challenge doesn't specify that the chosen ingredient is the star of the show. Like many ingredients, almonds tend to be in a supporting role in a lot of recipes recipes. The same is true of most herbs and spices (which have been chosen for a number of challenges).

At the end of the day this is a fun challenge and not to be taken too seriously. Its up to the judge to pick a winning recipe (which unless they actually make the recipe, is based on what they think it might be like). There aren't even any judging criteria! Its honestly not worth debating what might or might not count. Any recipe containing almonds is eligible.

My thinking is that I may as well use cow's milk. It's far easier to obtain here. Is there a discernible taste difference?

Almond milk tastes creamier and slightly 'nutty' in my experience. Its easily available here in any supermarket. It is pretty easy to make your own almond milk from fresh almonds.

I do my coffee straight up and black. I'm however not adverse to a shot of Irish whiskey in it on occasion... or maybe a jigger of Kahlua... but those are rare occasions. The only cereal I eat these days is oatmeal - which I like with a little real whole milk on top.

The thing is that this recipe challenge doesn't specify that the chosen ingredient is the star of the show. Like many ingredients, almonds tend to be in a supporting role in a lot of recipes recipes. The same is true of most herbs and spices (which have been chosen for a number of challenges).

At the end of the day this is a fun challenge and not to be taken too seriously. Its up to the judge to pick a winning recipe (which unless they actually make the recipe, is based on what they think it might be like). There aren't even any judging criteria! Its honestly not worth debating what might or might not count. Any recipe containing almonds is eligible.

I am going to smoke a rack of ribs this holiday weekend. If I put an almond on top of the ribs, can I enter it?

Admit it, I'm your favorite forum member, right? :hug:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom