The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:12 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is basil and JASOH1 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe containing basil as a new thread, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Friday 31st July UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

Last edited:
I have a couple of ideas, Im leaning simple summer fare. Thats what I usually cook this time of year, and basil works with basic summer fare, IMO.

CD
What I'm trying to work on is finding dishes that really feature basil, where basil is a main ingredient, and not just something that gets added as a little flavoring.

I made an omelette tonight, with tomatoes, green onions, cheese, and basil. The basil was literally four less-than-average-sized leaves, torn and tossed in the filling. I don't want to enter that. I want something that really says...BASIL!

What I'm trying to work on is finding dishes that really feature basil, where basil is a main ingredient, and not just something that gets added as a little flavoring.

I made an omelette tonight, with tomatoes, green onions, cheese, and basil. The basil was literally four less-than-average-sized leaves, torn and tossed in the filling. I don't want to enter that. I want something that really says...BASIL!

Difficult - unless you make a type of pesto of course.

I am planning to enter my Casey's Caprese Bites later today. They involve cherry tomatoes, which are good right now in Texas, and the usual suspects for other ingredients. I say this now, because I've had someone else enter what I was going to enter on multiple occasions, usually just before I am ready to enter. DOH!

I've been making these things for years, and almost posted them in the "What are You Eating" thread, but never got around to it. I don't think I have ever posted them anywhere -- or even photographed them. They are just a snack I really like.

Now, off to the store to get a few things.

CD

When we make a Caprese salad, we prefer home roasted red bell peppers over tomatoes. We often serve it as part of an appetizer meal.

A chef I know uses a thin slice of red onion with the tomato and mozz on his Caprese salad in his steakhouse. I have a picture of it somewhere -- I did a magazine article on his restaurant. But, I can't find it.

CD

You can buy some decent San Marzano, Kumato, and similar in the clamshell in the produce section at most grocery stores. They are pricey but worth it.

I have some small green ones on my plants that will probably be ready mid July, as hot as it is (having to water twice a day). Since we have until the 3rd week of July for this contest, there is still plenty of time. Is it possible we could extend the deadline by a few days so that people can get their tomato combo recipes in with fresh tomatoes? I wouldn't mind.

We can easily extend it. As judge that is your call. Shall we extend it for a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom