The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't enjoy all...that...basil the first time, then no, don't. If you loved it, then please do!
I've had that before, it's really nice
I think basil can work as an accent in this case. I think the issue with how I made it was the massive amount of basil. I made mine based on the original recipe posted, and I didn't know what I was getting myself into until it came together.

Recipe - Macaroni With Chickpeas, Herbs, & Garlic

Well, I'd really like to talk this up, and contrast the creaminess of the beans against earthiness of the herbs, but really, there isn't much to say here. This is tastes exactly like what the title describes: macaroni, with some beans and herbs and garlic mixed in.

Nothing fancy, nothing to jam under someone's nose while shouting, "Ya gotta try this!" - it's just some pasta, beans, and herbs.

That's not to say it isn't perfectly acceptable. Actually...that's a good word for this dish - it's...acceptable.

After that rousing endorsement, I'll be clearing a spot on my mantle for the basil challenge trophy. :laugh:

Recipe - Macaroni With Chickpeas, Herbs, & Garlic

Well, I'd really like to talk this up, and contrast the creaminess of the beans against earthiness of the herbs, but really, there isn't much to say here. This is tastes exactly like what the title describes: macaroni, with some beans and herbs and garlic mixed in.

Nothing fancy, nothing to jam under someone's nose while shouting, "Ya gotta try this!" - it's just some pasta, beans, and herbs.

That's not to say it isn't perfectly acceptable. Actually...that's a good word for this dish - it's...acceptable.

After that rousing endorsement, I'll be clearing a spot on my mantle for the basil challenge trophy. :laugh:

I made something like this about two weeks ago. Mine had tomatoes and onions, a lot of garlic and basil, no chickpeas... and bacon! I diced the bacon and fried it first. When it was almost done, I added the onions garlic to sauté in the bacon fat. Then the canned tomatoes. The cooked Penne pasta and mound of chopped basil went in last.

CD

Okay, after many trials and tribulations, I managed to make my caprese bites. I had to hunt to find presentable basil leaves on my poor, weather beaten plant. They are small, but good -- no loss in flavor, at all.

They are basically cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and fresh mozzarella balls, on toothpicks with a drizzle of EVOO, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Finished with some fresh cracked pepper.

Recipe - Caprese appetizers

Caprese001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Okay, after many trials and tribulations, I managed to make my caprese bites. I had to hunt to find presentable basil leaves on my poor, weather beaten plant. They are small, but good -- no loss in flavor, at all.

They are basically cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and fresh mozzarella balls, on toothpicks with a drizzle of EVOO, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Finished with some fresh cracked pepper.

I will put up a recipe thread later, saying the exact same thing, to make it an official entry.

View attachment 42900

CD

Man that looks so good.

Russ

I will put up a recipe thread later, saying the exact same thing, to make it an official entry.

View attachment 42900

CD
Looks great, could have put those on the same plate with the chicken thigh and macaroni salad, mmmm...both look delicious.

I"ve seen so many macaroni salads lately that I'm going to have to make one. I'm very intrigued by the garlic basil variation.

Grilled chicken thigh with a butter/garlic/basil sauce. On the side, a garlic and basil macaroni salad.

Once again, I'll do a separate recipe thread later to make it official.

This was outstanding, if I may say so myself. Garlic and basil are perfect partners. I still smell like my dinner.

View attachment 42903

CD

I'm trying this as well. :)

Russ

Recipe - Cherry Tomato Salad

Ok, I made this as a side for something else I'll also be posting, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was pretty happy with it once it came together.

It's just tomatoes, oil and vinegar, some sugar and salt, and three kinds of fresh herbs; basil, oregano, and parsley. It comes out nice and bright, not heavy at all, and somewhat...uplifting, I think. You feel just a little bit better after eating it. It's smiley food. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom