The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being winter here we have no fresh basil. I have frozen though. I use it in my pasta sauce.

Russ
When it's winter here and I want some fresh basil, I buy one of those "living basil" plants and keep it in my kitchen window, cutting what I need as long as it lives. It tends not to get enough sun to live for very long, but it's an option. They also sell basil in the clamshell packs in the produce section here, do you have that at your grocer?

When it's winter here and I want some fresh basil, I buy one of those "living basil" plants and keep it in my kitchen window, cutting what I need as long as it lives. It tends not to get enough sun to live for very long, but it's an option. They also sell basil in the clamshell packs in the produce section here, do you have that at your grocer?

I have seen those in Fiesta Stores (a chain of Mexican supermercados). I have not seen them in other stores. Fiesta has amazing produce. Mexican immigrants are very demanding of good produce. The meat department sucks.

CD

I have seen those in Fiesta Stores (a chain of Mexican supermercados). I have not seen them in other stores. Fiesta has amazing produce. Mexican immigrants are very demanding of good produce. The meat department sucks.

CD
Regular grocery stores have "living basil" plants and fresh basil leaves in the clamshell up here. You probably don't see it at HEB or other mainstream grocery stores because just about anyone can grow basil where you live. Here, not so much, our growing season is only about 5 months. Some herbs will come back, like parsley, chives, and oregano, but basil is far too delicate.

We get commercially grown as well, but very expensive, that's why I freeze.

Russ

img_0781-jpg.jpg

Lemon Basil Ice Cream - I posted this after seeing what SatNavSaysStraightOn posted (Recipe - Lemon and Basil Ice-Cream). I didn't actually post a recipe, so it should qualify. The only question now is whether I want to relive the experience of all...that...basil.

It only qualifies if you post a recipe as a new thread.
Well, yes, of course. I didn't mean to suggest that sticking a picture here and linking to someone else's thread counts. I'm doing this the way I have done things basically every single time I participate in a recipe challenge: 1) post a picture and a description; 2) add the recipe and the link a day or so later.

Well, yes, of course. I didn't mean to suggest that sticking a picture here and linking to someone else's thread counts. I'm doing this the way I have done things basically every single time I participate in a recipe challenge: 1) post a picture and a description; 2) add the recipe and the link a day or so later.

Sorry - misunderstood! I've seen quite a lot of recipes for basil in desserts and ice-cream so its worth experimenting with. Raspberry basil ice-cream is one I've come across. I'm sure there are many interesting combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom