The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after many trials and tribulations, I managed to make my caprese bites. I had to hunt to find presentable basil leaves on my poor, weather beaten plant. They are small, but good -- no loss in flavor, at all.

They are basically cherry tomatoes, basil leaves and fresh mozzarella balls, on toothpicks with a drizzle of EVOO, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Finished with some fresh cracked pepper.

I will put up a recipe thread later, saying the exact same thing, to make it an official entry.

View attachment 42900

CD
Haha, now it's my turn to say, "I was gonna make that!" :laugh:

I wasn't going to make that exactly the same way, but close enough. Mine comes from Jacques Pepin, and it's called tomato towers, so alternating layers of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozz, basil leaves, and those big round entertaining crackers, with some oil drizzled over.

Makes a nice presentation, but I think I'd prefer yours because it's much easier to actually eat.

Brie, Cherry and Basil Tart

It may not look as if there is a lot of basil here - but there is basil in the marinade for the cherries which really comes through.

Yeah, I had been checking for them the past four days, but I knew he had to go to his parents house because of his dad's surgery so figured he was just waiting until he got back home. He does have plenty of time.

Yes, I have to many things on my mind right now, and I do have a whole lot of time to make my entries official.

Also, keep in mind, I did not use a recipe to make either one of my entries. The caprese bites will take more time to go though the posting and linking process (PITA) than writing a recipe. The chicken will take a little more thought, so what I write down is what I actually cooked. Then I have to make a new recipe post, in the right forum, tag it as a food challenge entry, then put a link in my entry in the food challenge thread.

I love to cook, and love to eat... but, I'm not very good at "paperwork."

CD

I understand that completely. I rarely use any recipes, and since for the last challenge it was all newly created, I had to stop myself to write things down as I went along.

Hopefully we can recreate and write a recipe where the results are the same?

I'm now completely in the habit of jotting shorthand as I go (or otherwise photographing the ingredients so I know how much I put in). The jotted notes for the Brie, Cherry and Basil Tart:

The only part I weighed was the cherries. And I measured the pastry rectangle once I'd cut it to a suitable size to accommodate the cherries. The process of making baking a tart like this I already know by heart (well its pretty easy!).

I love to cook, and love to eat... but, I'm not very good at "paperwork."
I generally screw up every single entry at least once, trying to remember all the fussy bits of getting it entered.

I've gotten better, though. Used to, Morning Glory had to tell me what I'd messed up - now I usually catch it myself. :laugh:

I generally screw up every single entry at least once, trying to remember all the fussy bits of getting it entered.

I've gotten better, though. Used to, Morning Glory had to tell me what I'd messed up - now I usually catch it myself. :laugh:

Unfortunately the instructions in the archive make it look very complicated. Its really not. The easiest way round is to post the recipe first in an appropriate section. Tag it 'Cookingbites Recipe Challenge' and then come back later.

All that remains is to put a link to it in this challenge thread which can be done by simply copying and pasting the web address of the recipe (the www address at the top of the screen) or by going to the section where your recipe is and copying the title of the recipe and pasting it here.

In general:
Its worth everyone knowing how to make these 'live links' to recipes or to other threads in any case. It so often happens that we want to refer to other threads or posts in discussion threads. If you want to make a link to a specific post in another discussion thread you can copy and paste the little hashtag number at the top right of the post. Like this: #197. which will take you to a post in the 'What did you cook today' thread.

Unfortunately the instructions in the archive make it look very complicated. Its really not. The easiest way round is to post the recipe first in an appropriate section. Tag it 'Cookingbites Recipe Challenge' and then come back later.

All that remains is to put a link to it in this challenge thread which can be done by simply copying and pasting the web address of the recipe (the www address at the top of the screen) or by going to the section where your recipe is and copying the title of the recipe and pasting it here.

In general:
Its worth everyone knowing how to make these 'live links' to recipes or to other threads in any case. It so often happens that we want to refer to other threads or posts in discussion threads. If you want to make a link to a specific post in another discussion thread you can copy and paste the little hashtag number at the top right of the post. Like this: #197. which will take you to a post in the 'What did you cook today' thread.
It's not so much that it's difficult, it's...tedious. You've got to remember to preface the subject with Recipe (I usually forget that), you've got to remember the recipe challenge tag (I usually forget that, and that's a PITA to add later) - those are the two that usually catch me out.

As to the specific number post, that doesn't quite work as advertised, at least on my iPhone. It'll take me to the page that that post is on, but not to that specific post. If someone has linked to it and put in something other than the post number, I have to go up to the URL and get the number from there, then scroll through the page to find that post.

I imagine that's just iPhones and the forum software not playing well together, as I get a lot of buggy behavior using my phone here.

I imagine that's just iPhones and the forum software not playing well together, as I get a lot of buggy behavior using my phone here.

Don't know - I don't have an iPhone so can't check - though I'm using a MacBook. I will try on my Android smart phone.

Edit:
Works fine on my phone. What do you see when you paste the link (before you post it?). On my phone I get the full web address of the post before I hit post.

Last edited:
Don't know - I don't have an iPhone so can't check - though I'm using a MacBook. I will try on my Android smart phone.

Edit:
Works fine on my phone. What do you see when you paste the link (before you post it?). On my phone I get the full web address of the post before I hit post.
Pasting in a link isn't a problem, it's when I click the link you provided for the numbered post. It doesn't put me on #197, but further up the page a bit. Had you changed that link name to something like, "...see this post here...," I'd click it, then check my URL to get the post number, in order to find out exactly what post you meant.

DBDB1ED8-FE9B-45E9-B1E8-95860000A0C5.jpeg

Basil Gnocchi. I want to thank CraigC for his suggestion (2 years ago) to bake the potatoes instead of boiling them. Such a smart idea.

I am not posting a recipe for the basil ice cream: it was a marginally successful experiment, but not good enough to ever try again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom