The CookingBites recipe challenge: beer

Gather round, I'm ready to declare the winner of the CookingBites beer recipe challenge is... 📯📯📯

caseydog, with his Recipe - Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs - well done!

Maybe it's the weather here, maybe it's the spectacular photograph, or maybe...just maybe...it's an expertly-crafted recipe perfectly executed, but this dish reached out and completely won me over.

caseydog, it's now your turn to choose our next ingredient and judge our next challenge. Please ensure the ingredient you settle on is fairly accessible for our members around the world. It's fine to choose an ingredient we had before, so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you like, you can preview an idea for the next ingredient in this thread, or if needed, PM me or another moderator for any questions/concerns.

Thanks TR! You probably just want me to send you more beer. :rolleyes:

I am at DFW airport, eating a really good catfish po-boy at Papadaux's. I'll have to think a while about a new ingredient. Suggestions are welcome!

CD

Congratulations caseydog - I loved that recipe and the photo.

Regarding choosing a new ingredient its probably worth checking the links to what has gone before (see TastyReuben's post above).

Yeh, I know the routine. I'll do some more looking and thinking tonight when I'm settled into my sister's house in Houston.

I had a "DOH!" moment when you made your last minute beef stew entry. I thought it could easily bump me out of contention.

CD

I had a "DOH!" moment when you made your last minute beef stew entry. I thought it could easily bump me out of contention.
Believe me, there were several entries that could have been picked tops.

I know it’s somewhat routine to say that, but seriously, this felt like one of the strongest challenges I’ve seen since joining, with so many high-quality entries. I didn’t comment at the time, but I have more than one of those bookmarked.

I really would like some suggestions. My mind is in another place right now, furnishing new place for my dad to live in a Memory Care facility, which is a nice name for a place for people with advanced dementia.

Please make suggestions. I may not use your suggestions as is, but they may inspire me. Right now, I'm kinda' lacking in inspiration. I'm too wrapped up in things I have to get done in the next week for my dad. Help me out.

CD

Please make suggestions. I may not use your suggestions as is, but they may inspire me.
We haven’t had oats/oatmeal in a while, I think.

You could do something fun, like use ice cream as an ingredient (Jacques Pepin uses melted vanilla ice cream for his French toast soak, for example), or use those cheap ramen noodles as an ingredient.

Maybe vanilla bean/extract, or any kind of vinegar?

I really would like some suggestions. My mind is in another place right now, furnishing new place for my dad to live in a Memory Care facility, which is a nice name for a place for people with advanced dementia.

Please make suggestions. I may not use your suggestions as is, but they may inspire me. Right now, I'm kinda' lacking in inspiration. I'm too wrapped up in things I have to get done in the next week for my dad. Help me out.

CD

Mod.comment. Could members please PM caseydog if they have suggestions. Otherwise we could end up with a protracted debate about which ingredients people like/don't like or support/don't support.

I've PM'd caseydog some suggestions of easily found ingredients we haven't had for a while.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom