The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

I fell asleep in a dining chair and fell off! I now only sit in chairs with arms. Ironically about 4 weeks ago I fell asleep in a chair with arms and trapped the radial nerve in my arm resulting in radial palsy, so left hand was completely floppy and useless. I couldn't really have cooked anything even if I was mobile. The palsy is now more or less gone, so at least I can chop things now.

I'm looking at developing a savoury recipe and have two ideas already.
Excuse the turn of phrase but that really sucks! You must have been woken as you broke your leg, sounds horrifying!

Were you a chair wrecker in a former life, maybe offer the god of seating a peace offering :D

My first entry is an easy one (ok...all my entries are easy ones):

Recipe - French Dressing

As I've posted many times before, I'm a big believer in making my own salad dressings, so submitting a salad dressing seemed a good first entry, and this is a robust one, with a little spiciness in there with the oil and vinegar.

F24C2744-3FF9-44E4-B968-002F407C9B0E.jpeg

Cocktail time!

Recipe - Brown Sugar Old Fashioned

Ok, I said earlier I wanted something that was “brown sugar forward” - well, this is that thing.

This isn’t kinda sweet, it’s not sorta sweet. This is toothachingly sweet. This is Mary-Ann-bringing-you-a-coconut-cream-pie sweet. This is so sweet, Willie Wonka drinks this to get a sugar high. This. Is. Sweeeeet!

The flavors are deliciously autumnal, but it’s fine year-round, and as I usually try and include MrsT’s reaction, it was as follows:

“What’s this?…<sluuuurp>…whoa, that’s strong…<sluuurp>…oh god, that’s freakin’ fantastic!”

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go brush my teeth before they rot.

Here´s a delicious way to prepare one of my favourite vegetables, the aubergine. Sweet & Sour Aubergine, Maharashtra style
The original version calls for small aubergine to be stuffed with a sweet, sour, spicy, coconutty mixture. However, I wasn´t able to get to town to find the baby veg, so just used big ones.
Aubergine sweet 5 sour.jpg

As a quick intro, I'm making a small portion of gluhwein . Then this weekend I will attempt a very fitting Easter treat featuring brown sugar.
20230403_175300.jpg
20230403_175303.jpg
Yes, Dutch dark brown sugar is called Basterdsuiker, but that doesn't mean ' bastard ' it means ' unrefined ' .
I used the skin of the orange for the brownies yesterday, but am using the rest of the orange for the gluhwein.

When the gluhwein is finished I will post my recipe.

As a quick intro, I'm making a small portion of gluhwein . Then this weekend I will attempt a very fitting Easter treat featuring brown sugar.
View attachment 98291View attachment 98292Yes, Dutch dark brown sugar is called Basterdsuiker, but that doesn't mean ' bastard ' it means ' unrefined ' .
I used the skin of the orange for the brownies yesterday, but am using the rest of the orange for the gluhwein.

When the gluhwein is finished I will post my recipe.
Sounds fantastic!

I've got one planned. I have to do it this weekend, before I go to Houston for a week.

CD

Don't forget to make your recipes!
Don't some people post recipes that they don't actually make? I have never done that and always will make my recipes (usually because my recipes are completely or partially original) but was wondering if that's acceptable.

Don't some people post recipes that they don't actually make? I have never done that and always will make my recipes (usually because my recipes are completely or partially original) but was wondering if that's acceptable.
It’s allowed, yes. It just can’t be something that’s been posted before.

Back
Top Bottom