The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

It’s 5PM (well, a little after):

Recipe - Brown Sugar-Bourbon Smash

Hey, it’s another bourbon drink with brown sugar! This is a little different than the last one, as this has ginger beer in it, for a nice little bubble and a snap at the tastebuds.

Other than that, not much to say, other than to add MrsT’s comment:

<sip> - I don’t like ginger beer, it makes my throat sore. My throat is already hurting.
<sip> - Actually, this isn’t bad.
<sip sip sip> - Can I have another one?

One other note: Don’t want to fool with stovetop simple syrup? Just make it in the microwave. Put the ingredients in a jar, zap it in 30-second intervals, stir until the sugar is dissolved, and that’s that.

Want to get it to room temp in a hurry? Forget the fridge or the freezer. Fill a little plastic container with ice, water, and some salt, stick the container jar of simple syrup in the container, and about 15 minutes later…room temp.

I have no free time for this week
sigh.jpg

*sigh*

I have no free time for this week
View attachment 98605
*sigh*

I had a couple planned, but my trip to Houston got moved up to tomorrow, and I had to do my taxes today, do laundry and pack. My four days to do all these things got narrowed down to one -- today.

By the time I get back, the challenge will be over, and the fresh produce I bought for one of them will be ready for the trash.

CD

I'm so disappointed!
I eked out a small window of time this afternoon to myself (even with several interruptions).
I had found a recipe for Copycat Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Butter made with Brown Sugar - that was a horrible fail - and I knew in the back of my brain that this wouldn't work. I knew damned well that it would come out grainy. Then I thought maybe if I use my new stick blender it may break it down some.
Not enough! The mouthfeel is off.
I'm so disappointed!

It is amazing what you find when you are not looking for it. I went to see the Rolling Stones at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in 1982-83??? ZZ-Top opened for them, and never opened for them again. They almost stole the show. The Stones got serious props for playing a full concert, even though it started pouring down rain halfway through. They earned their paychecks that day, for sure.

Anyway, I did a search on YouTube on "Brown Sugar Dallas" to see if I could find that song played at that concert. I did not, but the YouTube search algorithms brought up this ZZ Top song -- Brown Sugar. I figured it would just be a cover of the Stones song. But, it was a song I had never heard before.

I will say that this is on topic, as inspiration for entries. I know I am motivated to make something to go with it. This is a good old Southern Pecan Pie kind of song. Pecan pie has a heavy helping of brown sugar in it. It will give you a cavity just looking at it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50eAv9tjvA

CD

That gives me an idea for a new thread about music and food. Not sure how to word it. Any ideas?

CD

It is amazing what you find when you are not looking for it. I went to see the Rolling Stones at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in 1982-83??? ZZ-Top opened for them, and never opened for them again. They almost stole the show. The Stones got serious props for playing a full concert, even though it started pouring down rain halfway through. They earned their paychecks that day, for sure.

Anyway, I did a search on YouTube on "Brown Sugar Dallas" to see if I could find that song played at that concert. I did not, but the YouTube search algorithms brought up this ZZ Top song -- Brown Sugar. I figured it would just be a cover of the Stones song. But, it was a song I had never heard before.

I will say that this is on topic, as inspiration for entries. I know I am motivated to make something to go with it. This is a good old Southern Pecan Pie kind of song. Pecan pie has a heavy helping of brown sugar in it. It will give you a cavity just looking at it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50eAv9tjvA

CD

BTW, Gruene Hall is in Green, Texas, and it is pronounced "Green." It is a legendary dance hall in Texas that has hosted most of the biggest names in Texas music history.

CD

Back
Top Bottom