The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recipe - Bread Pudding With Banana-Rum Sauce

Note: I used the buns I made earlier from ForeverFoodieLove's recipe.

The bread pudding portion is pretty standard, with sugar, vanilla, egg, milk, and nutmeg mixed together and poured over the bread cubes.

The sauce really makes this, though. Again, nothing too unusual, just brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, rum, and bananas, but the taste is oh-so-decadent.

It also gave me a reason to do my first-ever flambé. I don't know what happened with this photo, but it's so...artistic (yeah, let's go with that), I'm including it.

I think I was so excited at the prospect of burning my house down, I didn't hold the camera still.

Fun fact: I read a bunch of tips on flambé technique before I lit this up, and they all said that your booze must be 80 proof or higher in order to ignite.

That's demonstrably false, as that rum is only 70 proof, and it caught right on fire with no problem, and burned a good while.

Recipe - Bread Pudding With Banana-Rum Sauce

Note: I used the buns I made earlier from ForeverFoodieLove's recipe.

View attachment 61076

View attachment 61077View attachment 61079
The bread pudding portion is pretty standard, with sugar, vanilla, egg, milk, and nutmeg mixed together and poured over the bread cubes.

The sauce really makes this, though. Again, nothing too unusual, just brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, rum, and bananas, but the taste is oh-so-decadent.

It also gave me a reason to do my first-ever flambé. I don't know what happened with this photo, but it's so...artistic (yeah, let's go with that), I'm including it.
View attachment 61078

I think I was so excited at the prospect of burning my house down, I didn't hold the camera still.

Fun fact: I read a bunch of tips on flambé technique before I lit this up, and they all said that your booze must be 80 proof or higher in order to ignite.

That's demonstrably false, as that rum is only 70 proof, and it caught right on fire with no problem, and burned a good while.

Now that you have lost your Flambe virginity, you should be a lot more confident from now on. I would have mixed all the sauce ingredients in a skillet before setting it ablaze -- no second pan. That's what I do with Bananas Foster. But, it seems to have worked.

You would have to try REALLY hard to burn your house down with a flambe.

CD

I would have mixed all the sauce ingredients in a skillet before setting it ablaze -- no second pan. That's what I do with Bananas Foster. But, it seems to have worked.
I was just following the recipe, which specified lighting it separately. In the different tips I read beforehand, it was common advice to light the booze separately, like in a big spoon or a ladle, then gently distribute it over the sauce, but only if you've had difficulty lighting it in the first place.

I wasn't really that concerned about catching anything else on fire, though I did remove my dish towel that hangs very near the stovetop, just in case. 🔥 😌

Recipe - Butterscotch-Apple Bread Pudding with English Muffins - DESSERT

I admit this turned out far sweeter than I wanted but since I am more sensitive to sugar than most people on the planet... others may simply LOVE It! Otherwise, these flavors are good together.

Again, I used English Muffins.

bread-pudding-butterscotch-served.jpg

I have to buy more English muffins, in order to do my next two planned recipes...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one more entry I want to make, for sure. It is a fun one. I've been lacking in motivation (thanks Covid), but I've got it started -- some things need to be prepped in advance and sit in the fridge a while.

CD

That's string cheese, which showed no sign of melting, even after sitting under a 525F broiler for a while.

The other thing of note: even though is was very thin, using a yeasted bun smooshed flat yielded a crust that was not unlike Chicago-style deep dish pizza - somewhat light and a little flaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom