The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Smoked Brisket Burger -- once again, recipe link in progress (right now I'm stuffed).

Home-ground fatty brisket, seasoned with the traditional Dalmatian rub (salt and pepper only) and slow smoked on the Weber with hickory wood. Topped with some sweet/hot BBQ sauce, sliced Texas 1015 sweet onions, and sliced dill pickles. Ordinary white-bread bun.

The toppings and bun are what you would find at a traditional Central Texas smokehouse. The emphasis is on the meat. Some old-school places don't even offer sauce.

View attachment 60976

CD
No sauce for me, please.

No sauce for me, please.

Normally, I don't use sauce on BBQ brisket or beef ribs. I do use it on pork ribs and pulled pork. I put it on the burger mainly because I figured it would be expected, but I have to tell you, it was a good addition. Just a little bit on top of the burger patty. I think it made the burger better.

CD

Normally, I don't use sauce on BBQ brisket or beef ribs. I do use it on pork ribs and pulled pork. I put it on the burger mainly because I figured it would be expected, but I have to tell you, it was a good addition. Just a little bit on top of the burger patty. I think it made the burger better.

CD
It's brisket. It makes sense. I like sauce on brisket. I don't like bbq sauce on burgers, so if it's ground meat, no sauce, if it's meat that falls apart on it's own merit after being smoked, I likes me some sauce! That makes sense too :laugh:

It's brisket. It makes sense. I like sauce on brisket. I don't like bbq sauce on burgers, so if it's ground meat, no sauce, if it's meat that falls apart on it's own merit after being smoked, I likes me some sauce! That makes sense too :laugh:

I think what made it work on this burger is the natural smoke in the meat. It complimented the smoked beef -- it didn't overpower it.

I smoked two patties. I used one as a test patty, mainly to see if it tasted like smoked brisket. I tried it with and without sauce. I decided to go with sauce on the burger.

IMG_1428.JPG

CD

Last edited:

CD
I'm peculiar, I do realize that. I like ground filet mignon burgers. I like them well done and I put ketchup and other condiments on my burgers. I like filet mignon steak. I like it medium rare and the idea of ketchup on a steak is abhorrent. Go figure :scratchhead:

I'm peculiar, I do realize that. I like ground filet mignon burgers. I like them well done and I put ketchup and other condiments on my burgers. I like filet mignon steak. I like it medium rare and the idea of ketchup on a steak is abhorrent. Go figure :scratchhead:

Tenderloin is too lean for me. Fat is flavor.

I also cook my burgers to at least medium well. I don't like a "mushy middle." I only use ketchup with fries/chips. Never on meat.

CD

I have not read all of the post. This is just a comment on burger buns. We spent Easter weekend with step son, DIL and GD. Saturday I made burgers. I had the buns ready and asked how do you want your buns - grilled or not? If grilled do you want them dry, with butter, with EVOO, or with Mayonnaise? SS, DIL and GD were amazed at the options. They had never considered using EVOO or mayo to grill buns with. SS tried Mayo. DIL tried EVOO. GD wanted dry buns. I loved their reactions. SS and DIL loved their buns. Fun for me.

Tenderloin is too lean for me. Fat is flavor.

I also cook my burgers to at least medium well. I don't like a "mushy middle." I only use ketchup with fries/chips. Never on meat.

CD
Ground tenderloin is fabulous. I put bacon on my tenderloin burgers, plenty of flavor and fat there.

I love a good ribeye, probably my favorite steak, but I generally won't buy them unless they are on sale for a decent price. I have a good source for filet mignon where I get consistently good quality for a great price. And filet mignon steak can be seasoned in a flavorful manner (Dale's sauce and/or Montreal Steak Seasoning). And then there is the crabmeat topping option, which I like quite a bit. My husband puts a horseradish and bleu cheese topping on his filet, which I find disgusting, LOL.

I am not a fan of NY Strip, flatiron, or a multitude of other steaks. If it's not ribeye or filet mignon I am not interested.

I am not a fan of ketchup on French fries or chips. Malt vinegar is good (if with fish), or just salt and pepper. Heck, I don't even always put it on burgers. It depends on what other things I am putting on the burger and what kind of mood I am in. It even depends on what kind of cheese I am using.

One could argue that some barbecue sauces have ketchup in them, so...technically you are putting ketchup on your meat. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I do not like fries/chips unless they are hot out of the fryer. I like ketchup with hot fries/chips. One of the few times I will eat ketchup.
I also have an issue with frozen onion rings. Will not eat them. I love onion rings only if they are sliced and coked in house. IDK where we were but the menu specified home made onion rings. I got frozen rings. Not a happy camper. I questioned the server. He said "well we cook them in house" :hyper:

Oh, I remember reading someone referring to bread pudding a few pages back, was that you?
Possibly, I don't know. I may have just been thinking about it. I sometimes have difficulty separating reality and dreams. :laugh:

Looks like EB is about to get "caseydogged." Of course, to get the true "caseydog effect," she would have already bought all the ingredients for her entry.

CD
I'm in all your heads...haunting your dreams...stealing your sweet, sweet essence...mwah-ha-ha-ha! 🧟‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom