The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and now I think I'm going to make some sauerkraut balls!

Actually, I know eggs and sauerkraut go well together by happy accident. One day I was out of other meat (corned beef, ham, or turkey) for hubby's hash and I chopped up sauerkraut balls to pan fry in with the potatoes and onions. Fried eggs go on top of the crispy hash. By golly they were delicious, that vinegary tang was awesome. And I don't even like sauerkraut.

I think that's why Craig likes the corned beef hash with a little dill pickle juice and chopped up pickles so much.

I'm afraid that I have stopped entering dishes in the competition. I won once and then had to judge the entries for my chosen ingredient. It was a very difficult experience.
It may sound funny, but I find the ingredient selection and judging responsibilities to be very stressful.

Friday was a barely-staffed day at work, and I had to work through a $14M payment that failed processing and had to be fixed with minutes to spare before cutoff...no problem. Judging a CB challenge, and I get stomach ulcers! :laugh:

It may sound funny, but I find the ingredient selection and judging responsibilities to be very stressful.

Friday was a barely-staffed day at work, and I had to work through a $14M payment that failed processing and had to be fixed with minutes to spare before cutoff...no problem. Judging a CB challenge, and I get stomach ulcers! :laugh:

Hey Murphyscreek, want to have some fun watching Tasty have a meltdown? :D :wink:

CD

Is there anyone who enjoys judging? I don't think so!

I've only done it once, and it was no big deal, IMO. Keep in mind that as a judge, you can't taste anything. You have to look at the recipe and the picture and imagine what each entry tastes like. So, hopefully nobody is taking this competition too seriously.

CD

I think I said it before, but I don't like picking losers, and when you pick a winner, you're also picking losers, and I hate that.

I understand what you are saying completely. I just don't let my brain go down that rabbit hole. Like I said, it is impossible to be totally objective when you can't taste any of the entries. And, if anyone takes these challenges that seriously, they need to rethink their lives.

BTW, I used to belong to a forum with cooking competitions that added sponsors. I won a handful of them, and the prizes were pretty cool. I remember winning a box of USDA prime steaks from Allen Brothers, including two tomahawk ribeyes that were each about two inches thick. That was easily a couple of hundred bucks worth of beef. Sounds nice, but when they started adding the prizes, it changed the whole nature of the competitions -- and not in a good way.

CD

Sounds nice, but when they started adding the prizes, it changed the whole nature of the competitions -- and not in a good way
Agree. I like seeing the challenge as a motivation and eye-opener and an amazing learning catalyst.
I love seeing the creativity of the more experienced cooks...

When I was in a jury in a piano competition, two or three times, I did find it also very stressful, but managed very well, that is my pro field.

But cooking, those are my baby steps. 😁💙

Agree. I like seeing the challenge as a motivation and eye-opener and an amazing learning catalyst.

When I was in a jury in a piano competition, two or three times, I did find it also very stressful, but managed very well, that is my pro field.

But cooking, those are my baby steps. 😁💙

Photography is my profession, and cooking is my hobby. I never want cooking to be anything more or less than fun.

CD

I've only done it once, and it was no big deal, IMO. Keep in mind that as a judge, you can't taste anything. You have to look at the recipe and the picture and imagine what each entry tastes like. So, hopefully nobody is taking this competition too seriously.

CD

As caseydog says its best not to take it seriously. There are no judging criteria so its simply up to the judge to pick a dish that appeals to them for whatever reason. The reason the challenge was set up in the first place was to encourage members to post more recipe threads. Some judges simply pick a winner and don't mention any other entries. Some take it very seriously and make comments on each entry. Its fine either way.

Yep - as the challenge has evolved and more members enter it, the spirit has been one of creativity and some good natured banter amongst entrants. Its all good fun.

As caseydog says its best not to take it seriously. There are no judging criteria so its simply up to the judge to pick a dish that appeals to them for whatever reason. The reason the challenge was set up in the first place was to encourage members to post more recipe threads. Some judges simply pick a winner and don't mention any other entries. Some take it very seriously and make comments on each entry. Its fine either way.

Yep - as the challenge has evolved and more members enter it, the spirit has been one of creativity and some good natured banter amongst entrants. Its all good fun.
I've always felt entering is fun ...but...

I didn’t until I judged the Wine challenge. I had a lot of fun with it at least in part because: 1) I decided to make some of the recipes, 2) I freestyled some recipes of my own, and 3) I consumed a lot of the main ingredient.

So, if murphyscreek wants to have more fun, he should eat a lot of hamburger buns.

Burger Bun Bread Bowl - Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup

full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom