The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice challenge, so do I understand that right, it has to be a risen bun basically, no matter what kind of dough, flour etc. and two slices of bread is not allowed?
Stay healthy

Nice challenge, so do I understand that right, it has to be a risen bun basically, no matter what kind of dough, flour etc. and two slices of bread is not allowed?
Stay healthy
I think so, but at first I understood it to be about making the bun and didn't realise that it involves preparing something to go inside of it as well, and then I saw posts stating that supermarket buns can be used, so what exactly is the challenge about, a burger inside of a bun? I am confused, because if it's a burger, it has to be a ground meat patty (or veggie burger) of some sort? Because I use burger buns for sandwiches and rarely use sliced bread for anything. Can it be anything that goes inside of a bun, then?

I think so, but at first I understood it to be about making the bun and didn't realise that it involves preparing something to go inside of it as well, and then I saw posts stating that supermarket buns can be used, so what exactly is the challenge about, a burger inside of a bun? I am confused, because if it's a burger, it has to be a ground meat patty (or veggie burger) of some sort? Because I use burger buns for sandwiches and rarely use sliced bread for anything. Can it be anything that goes inside of a bun, then?

Yes, it can be anything that goes inside a burger bun, as I understand it. The definition of a burger bun has been expanded, but I don't think two pieces of sliced bread are allowed.

CD

Yes, it can be anything that goes inside a burger bun, as I understand it. The definition of a burger bun has been expanded, but I don't think two pieces of sliced bread are allowed.

CD
Well yes, I realized it was specific to a bun, and like I posted, I don't use sliced bread for anything. PabloLerntKochen asked about sliced bread. I just saw the challenge initially and thought we were supposed to be baking buns.

The challenge is to use hamburger buns and its relatives (either home-baked or store/bakery-bought) as an ingredient, including as part of a burger.

So, if you have a kicking jalapeño-chili burger, that'll work. If you have a bread pudding using torn-up pieces of brioche burger buns, that's good, too. We have pretzel buns here, so I'm going to try and incorporate those into something.

The challenge is to use hamburger buns and its relatives (either home-baked or store/bakery-bought) as an ingredient, including as part of a burger.

So, if you have a kicking jalapeño-chili burger, that'll work. If you have a bread pudding using torn-up pieces of brioche burger buns, that's good, too. We have pretzel buns here, so I'm going to try and incorporate those into something.

Spot on.

JAS_OH1, in the context of the Recipe challenge, the bun is seen as an ingredient, so it can be used in any way you wish. It really doesn't need to be a burger or anything else inside that bun! Use the bun as a basic ingredient and do whatever you wish with it.

Spot on.

JAS_OH1, in the context of the Recipe challenge, the bun is seen as an ingredient, so it can be used in any way you wish. It really doesn't need to be a burger or anything else inside that bun! Use the bun as a basic ingredient and do whatever you wish with it.
Wow, you're up late!

So if I make bagels, they are an ingredient in something else, even though I use a recipe to make bagels to begin with so I can't actually enter the bagel itself? I think I got it, sort of.

Mod.comment:

To clarify this challenge. The recipe challenge is about an ingredient. Burger buns are the chosen ingredient. You do not need to make a burger bun. The challenge is not about recipes for making a burger bun! The challenge is about using a burger bun (bought or home-made) in a dish. The dish could be a traditional hamburger or a salad or a bread pudding or whatever you can come up with.

Wow, you're up late!

So if I make bagels, they are an ingredient in something else, even though I use a recipe to make bagels to begin with so I can't actually enter the bagel itself? I think I got it, sort of.

You would need to use the bagel in a dish. The entry can't simply be a bagel recipe or any bun recipe.

Yeah..I know its confusing. But the Recipe challenge is about using a chosen ingredient in a recipe. And the ingredient is 'buns'.

Thanks for explaining it better than I obviously have.

Mod.comment:

To clarify this challenge. The recipe challenge is about an ingredient. Burger buns are the chosen ingredient. You do not need to make a burger bun. The challenge is not about recipes for making a burger bun! The challenge is about using a burger bun (bought or home-made) in a dish. The dish could be a traditional hamburger or a salad or a bread pudding or whatever you can come up with.
Thankyou for clarifying it... I think I confused the issue more trying to explain things.

TastyReuben and yourself have done a much better job.

So in summary (and I hope this doesn't confuse things more) :

The hamburger bun is an ingredient. You don't have to bake your own bun, but you can if you want to. You don't have to make a hamburger, but you can if you want to. You don't have to make a burger of any kind, but you can if you want to. You don't have to come up with a weird or wacky way to use a burger bun, but you can if you want to.

As judge I wouldn't want to push people in any particular direction... but will just say this. I do love burgers, and especially those that for whatever reason stand above the average mass produced takeaway versions (you know what I mean). But I also love creativity and imaginitive uses of an ingredient that work in a way that might not have been the original purpose of that ingredient.

If you use the burger bun to just make a sandwich, then of course the recipe would be eligible and up for judging. But I will caution that that sandwich is going to have to be something pretty special and uniquely so. Likewise if you just want to submit the bun, bagel, whatever, as the actual stand alone entry.

But at the end of the day, a good recipe has to make sense logically and hopefully artistically in unison, be reasonably achievable, and above all else taste and look delicious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom