The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was already discussed that it's an ingredient and bread pudding would be acceptable. If torn up pieces of bun can be used to make a pudding, than I think an open faced bagel should be as well.

Sounds reasonable to me. The ever-evolving burger bun challenge. :laugh:

CD

I'm not trying to derail Jas_oh's entry, but before anyone plans to do the same, are open faced "burgers" allowed, or must there be a top and bottom "bun?" Better to find out now before five other members make open faced entries.

CD
No problem whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. It's like any other challenge, the bun is an ingredient to be used any way you think it works.

Just my opinion but I feel that the burger bun should be lightly toasted prior to adding the "filling", particularly if any of the "filling" is moist.

No, not particularly, but could be. I plan to pan toast a burger bun for a challenge recipe however.

Avocado and Salmon Bagel

View attachment 60027

I love these brunch bagels. The flavor profiles of the ingredients work so well together. I had lemon-pepper and dill seasoned salmon that I warmed up and added to the bagel on top of a layer of cream cheese, capers, red onion, and avocado. It was so delicious!

I make "cheat" air fryer bagels (they can be baked) that require no yeast and use baking powder for a leavening agent. I crust them with everything seasoning before cooking. I just made a batch yesterday (it takes less than an hour).
Easy Air Fryer Everything Bagels - Simply Scratch

View attachment 60026

Plain bagels or bagels purchased from a bakery or grocery store will obviously work just fine.

Salmon recipe: Recipe - Lemon Pepper and Dill Seasoned Salmon Filets (purchased smoked salmon is very nice on this as well).

Hubby requested his avocado be served on the side:

View attachment 60014

Enjoy!

I have in the past, used bagels as hamburger buns. I suppose that they qualify for this challenge and I would hope so. I like the chewy nature of bagels as hamburger buns.

I have in the past, used bagels as hamburger buns. I suppose that they qualify for this challenge and I would hope so. I like the chewy nature of bagels as hamburger buns.
They do, it was posted a few pages back.

Just my opinion but I feel that the burger bun should be lightly toasted prior to adding the "filling", particularly if any of the "filling" is moist.

I totally agree, for the reasons you say. Besides what Morning Glory mentioned about adding texture, what you usually put between the halves of the bun is generally juicy (unless my brother-in-law is manning the grill, in which case the burgers will be smoking black charcoal briquettes). A toasted bun will stand up to the juiciness better without getting soggy.

Okay, now have my buns (in an uproar). Six "original whole grain" Thomas' English Muffins. Says here "the original nooks and crannies English muffins". Love to know from MG if this is a brand available in the UK, after that "original" claim?

At any rate, I have ideas for four recipes using five or perhaps all six of those muffins.... two will be quick and easy.

Okay, now have my buns (in an uproar). Six "original whole grain" Thomas' English Muffins. Says here "the original nooks and crannies English muffins". Love to know from MG if this is a brand available in the UK, after that "original" claim?

At any rate, I have ideas for four recipes using five or perhaps all six of those muffins.... two will be quick and easy.
Seems like TastyReuben made some English muffin toasting bread and peeps in the UK were questioning what it could be?

Today's Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom