The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I missed the last contest - my fault entirely. I love snow peas!!!
I will skip this one because I really don't like burger buns. If I have any sort of choice, I go for lettuce wraps, or slices of toasted bread. Provides a better food to bread ratio to me...

Wrap a burger bun in lettuce and press it between a couple slices of toasted bread. :okay:

I was just reading an article on typical hamburger bun types... and contrary to the definition above, square shaped ciabatta buns most definitely qualify. As do English muffins.

Types of Burger Buns: What are the Best? | Perfect Patty Shaperz

I recently made on my holidays some really yummy crocodile burgers using brioche buns. This article though was spot on pointing out the negatives of my choice, as the bread just started disintegrating half way through eating it.
English muffins qualify? Okay, I'm back in!

The challenge is to use hamburger buns and its relatives (either home-baked or store/bakery-bought) as an ingredient, including as part of a burger.

So, if you have a kicking jalapeño-chili burger, that'll work. If you have a bread pudding using torn-up pieces of brioche burger buns, that's good, too. We have pretzel buns here, so I'm going to try and incorporate those into something.
Good, 'cause that's what I'm doing! lol.

Okay, okay, I seriously feel like someone beat me over the head with a massive, stale burger bun. I got it. :laugh:
Now, if you really want to do it up right, enter something that does not include a bun or a burger or even any kind of bread, and say, "I think I have this figured out now." :laugh:

I've been making a quick version of brioche buns inspired by a recipe suggest by TastyReuben: Recipe & Video - Easy Burger Buns Recipe
but now my favorite is the traditional Turkish pita usually used for doner in Turkey. Recipe & Video - Turkish Doner Bread - Turkish Pita Recipe
Both tagged with recipe challenge now :)

Mod.comment: Unfortunately the rules state you can only enter a recipe you haven't posted before. The recipe must be posted within the time frame of the challenge.

Avocado and Salmon Bagel

1616960312339.png

I love these brunch bagels. The flavor profiles of the ingredients work so well together. I had lemon-pepper and dill seasoned salmon that I warmed up and added to the bagel on top of layers of cream cheese, capers, red onion, and avocado. It was so delicious!

I make "cheat" air fryer bagels (they can be baked) that require no yeast and use baking powder for a leavening agent. I crust them with everything seasoning before cooking. I just made a batch yesterday (it takes less than an hour).
Easy Air Fryer Everything Bagels - Simply Scratch

1616960280027.png

Plain bagels or bagels purchased from a bakery or grocery store will obviously work just fine.

Salmon recipe: Recipe - Lemon Pepper and Dill Seasoned Salmon Filets (purchased smoked salmon is very nice on this as well).

Hubby requested his avocado be served on the side:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm not trying to derail Jas_oh's entry, but before anyone plans to do the same, are open faced "burgers" allowed, or must there be a top and bottom "bun?" Better to find out now before five other members make open faced entries.

CD

I'm not trying to derail Jas_oh's entry, but before anyone plans to do the same, are open faced "burgers" allowed, or must there be a top and bottom "bun?" Better to find out now before five other members make open faced entries.

CD
It was already discussed that it's an ingredient and bread pudding would be acceptable. If torn up pieces of bun can be used to make a pudding, than I think an open faced bagel should be as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom