The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:23 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is burger buns and murphyscreek is our judge. The challenge is not limited to using burger buns to make a burger. Be as creative as you wish with the ingredient! To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe using burger buns*, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Saturday 17th April, UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

Definition of a burger bun as provided by the judge:
"A hamburger bun is a round, risen bread designed specifically to hold a hamburger patty and the accompanying toppings. The hamburger bun, when sliced in half, makes hamburgers and sandwiches portable and easy foods to eat."

Last edited:
Soooo, how many kinds of home baked burger buns can we expect?

CD
I've only ever made hamburger buns from two different recipes, so I don't have a lot of variety there. Maybe I'll try doing something a little fancier, like a Kaiser roll or something, I don't know.

Honestly, I'm more interested in finding some kind of non-standard way to use a generic supermarket bun. Maybe I'll roll them paper-thin and deep-fry them, season them with cinnamon and sugar, and pipe whipped frosting on them. :laugh:

I may goof around with this, although the definition of the featured ingredient is really narrow. I don't bake, and don't want to bake, so I'm limited to the basic supermarket burger bun.

CD

I may goof around with this, although the definition of the featured ingredient is really narrow. I don't bake, and don't want to bake, so I'm limited to the basic supermarket burger bun.

CD

Do you get different types of burger bun in the supermarkets?

In the UK burger buns are not generally sweetened, which I think they are in the US. We get brioche burger buns and other types in supermarkets here.

I'm likely to use a supermarket bun too, although I could make my own. According to what murphyscreek said elsewhere, I think the challenge will not be judged on whether or not you make them yourself but rather on what you do with them.

I was just reading an article on typical hamburger bun types... and contrary to the definition above, square shaped ciabatta buns most definitely qualify. As do English muffins.

Types of Burger Buns: What are the Best? | Perfect Patty Shaperz

I recently made on my holidays some really yummy crocodile burgers using brioche buns. This article though was spot on pointing out the negatives of my choice, as the bread just started disintegrating half way through eating it.

Last edited:
Do you get different types of burger bun in the supermarkets?

In the UK burger buns are not generally sweetened, which I think they are in the US. We get brioche burger buns and other types in supermarkets here.

I'm likely to use a supermarket bun too, although I could make my own. According to what murphyscreek said elsewhere, I think the challenge will not be judged on whether or not you make them yourself but rather on what you do with them.

Generally, burger buns here are NOT sweet. There is a brand called King's Hawaiian that is sweet. I can get brioche buns. I can get buns with sesame seeds. I can get a few kinds of rolls, but they are not burger buns.

I have some ideas for what to put on my burger buns, but the buns will NOT be the star of the show. The buns will be something that serves as a means of getting the stuff inside to my mouth.

CD

They're made from yeasted wheat dough, are buns that are sometimes used to make burgers (in some cases famously), so I don't see why not.
You're slipping dangerously close to allowing this:

:laugh:

I was just reading an article on typical hamburger bun types... and contrary to the definition above, square shaped ciabatta buns most definitely qualify. As do English muffins.

Types of Burger Buns: What are the Best? | Perfect Patty Shaperz

I recently made on my holidays some really yummy crocodile burgers using brioche buns. This article though was spot on pointing out the negatives of my choice, as the bread just started disintegrating half way through eating it.
I saw that video, I loved how you showed clips of your vacation throughout your croc burger video.

Generally, burger buns here are NOT sweet. There is a brand called King's Hawaiian that is sweet. I can get brioche buns. I can get buns with sesame seeds. I can get a few kinds of rolls, but they are not burger buns.

I have some ideas for what to put on my burger buns, but the buns will NOT be the star of the show. The buns will be something that serves as a means of getting the stuff inside to my mouth.

CD
My favorite burger bun is a brioche bun. My husband likes kaiser buns.

Thanks for loosening the rules. I think you will get better entries with the burger "bun" being an integral part of the dish.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom