The CookingBites recipe challenge: capers/caper berries

I would imagine Amazon has some sort of way to do that.
My experience with faulty goods with Amazon has always been excellent. It is one thing they excel at.

On one occasion I ordered some 2 jars of date syrup off them and 8 boxes of booja booja chocolates (they were short dated and cheap). The lid came off the date syrup in transit and the result was a mess. I contacted them hoping just to get the date syrup replaced, but they replaced everything instead despite the fact the chocolates were inside an airtight sealed container once extracted from the cardboard sticky mess... the chocolates were fine.

Another time I had an issue with an electric blanket I'd ordered. They sent the wrong one, with only 1 controller, not 2. I contacted them to return it and they upgraded my order to a much better quality dual controller electric blanket that we are still using to this day, they also changed the size free of charge for me to suit a new mattress we'd ended up with which was quite handy!

But it only applies to stuff they have dispatched. Their marketplace stuff that the sender posts, rather than lodging with Amazon (which you can do) is dealt with via the seller, not Amazon unless it's an Amazon despatch...

I've found that my coffee sugar spoons target than the tea spoons for into them nicely. Plus if you only need 1 or 2, use a knife to balance a caper on... practice makes perfect.

Though honestly, I'm still at a major loss as to what I can do with them that's vegan.
There are some tomato-based pasta sauces that use capers! I’ve made a few over the years.

Caponata Siciliana
Getting in here really fast because, just by chance, I made this dish at the weekend for some friends who came to visit.
This dish is a classic in Sicily, and can be enjoyed on its own, with some good crusty bread; as a topping for a bruschetta; as part of a salad dish or even as a pasta sauce.
The controversy on this antipasto is : garlic, or no garlic? ALL the Sicilians I've ever spoken to say NO.
Caponata 1.jpg

There are some tomato-based pasta sauces that use capers! I’ve made a few over the years.
Yeah pretty much everything in the first page of vegan recipes with capers search was pasta with.... but I have found a shop that I can visit at the weekend that sells capers in brine, caper berries in vinegar, caper leaves in salt, and caper leaf powder, so I'll be paying it a visit on Saturday. It has a few other ingredients I've been finding hard to get hold of. Let's just hope they actually have them in the shop as well as online (express postage is $15 and may turn up before the middle of next week... we've a public holiday on Monday).

Yeah pretty much everything in the first page of vegan recipes with capers search was pasta with.... but I have found a shop that I can visit at the weekend that sells capers in brine, caper berries in vinegar, caper leaves in salt, and caper leaf powder, so I'll be paying it a visit on Saturday. It has a few other ingredients I've been finding hard to get hold of. Let's just hope they actually have them in the shop as well as online (express postage is $15 and may turn up before the middle of next week... we've a public holiday on Monday).
Our public holiday on Monday is memorial day. What's yours?

Yeah pretty much everything in the first page of vegan recipes with capers search was pasta with.
That's extremely limiting, because there are many, many recipes which use capers and do not involve pasta. Capers are popular in Italy, France, Spain, across the Mediterranean and all over South America!

We can find 4 types of caper here. The little tiny ones, which they call non pareil; bigger ones, packed in salt; the same (bigger ones) in brine and the big Caperberries. I find the bigger ones have better flavour, and I buy the capers packed in salt, wash them, then bottle them in white vinegar.
They're an ingredient which can really brighten up a dish, I think, and I tend to use them frugally.
And I'd say, taste, taste, taste before you use them, and then decide how.

Though honestly, I'm still at a major loss as to what I can do with them that's vegan.

I've no shortage of vegan ideas. Capers work with lots of vegetables. Currently, I'm thinking of entering three vegan recipes (none involve pasta). My only challenge is whether I can stand up long enough to cook them as I'm still recovering from broken leg.

They do go really well with eggs - which aren't vegan but I know you eat a lot of them. Ottolenghi has quite a few vegan recipes with capers.

Back
Top Bottom