The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cheddar cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, sharp here just means very strong and tangy. That's beautiful.

Yes, in the US, what you will find in most grocery stores will be mild, medium and sharp.

The State of Wisconsin dominates the US market for cheese, and they make good cheese -- the people of Wisconsin proudly own the nickname, "Cheesheads."

There are a few other States, namely New York and Vermont that are very proud of their Cheddars. English Cheddar is not hard to find here, either. It costs a bit more, but it had to travel a long way to get here.

As for American cheese, the cheap stuff labeled "cheese product" is not something I eat, now that I'm an adult, but it is what I grew up eating -- along with most kids in the US.

American cheese is the quintessential cheeseburger cheese in the US. I like it, but also like to mix it up a bit by using other cheeses, including Cheddar.

CD

This is what is generally available here:

"Mainland Cheese is a brand of cheese now owned by Fonterra Co-operative Group that is sold throughout Australasia and parts of the Americas. It began as a family business in the South Island of New Zealand (which is jocularly known as the "mainland" of New Zealand because it is larger than the North Island)."

Hmm, am wondering if I can substitute some back fat in a basic salami with some diced cheddar and do a 3 week cure to taste test this in time. Any else tried this? I've done before with the likes of manchego but that is firmer and saltier....and it would still have to compliment the pork...
I'm off to experiment with some additional herbs I think.

Hmm, am wondering if I can substitute some back fat in a basic salami with some diced cheddar and do a 3 week cure to taste test this in time. Any else tried this? I've done before with the likes of manchego but that is firmer and saltier....and it would still have to compliment the pork...

That is is very interesting idea! If you can do it before the challenge deadline that will be great.

Oh, I want to try your recipe, although it will have to be vicariously! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Here's my first one, starting off easy:

Recipe - Fruit-Cheese Kabobs With Ginger Dip

This is nice for a sunny Sunday on the back porch, a sweet fruit wine alongside it.

I'll say that while the flavor is fine, and the ginger is a wonderful complement to the pineapple, I'd have enjoyed this more if it were less the consistency of cream cheese and were a bit thinner, more like melted chocolate. The thickness meant it wasn't really a dip, more of a spread, and that takes two hands and a little knife.

I need to know that stuff up front, Betty Crocker! :laugh:

Another one:

Recipe - Chili-Cheese Balls

I really like the flavor of these, great appetizer, but I didn't give them enough room to spread, so they didn't thin out properly and tasted a little floury. I'll definitely be giving these another go, though.

I used two cheddars; a smoky one and a sharp one. They tasted very different on their own, but they were indistinguishable once I baked them up.

This is what is generally available here:

"Mainland Cheese is a brand of cheese now owned by Fonterra Co-operative Group that is sold throughout Australasia and parts of the Americas. It began as a family business in the South Island of New Zealand (which is jocularly known as the "mainland" of New Zealand because it is larger than the North Island)."
Still made here and one not shown is vintage cheddar but not the one you show, ill put a pic up when I find it. My wife hides it in the fridge so I can't get at it, she likes it on crackers and it's more expensive than the cheap one in the fridge. She's been known to wrap it in other packaging to stop me snacking on a bit.
It really is good.
Barrys bay factory has the best cheese in nz, IMHO. When we go to akaroa we call in and buy cheddar havarti Gouda and masdaam, my fave cheese.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom