The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Cheddar cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations medtran49 :woot: I too was very impressed by the winning recipe.

As you know, its now over to you to choose the next ingredients. As usual, its best to choose something fairly accessible across our different countries. You can see the ingredients chosen before here in date or and here in alphabetical order. It really doesn't matter if its an ingredient chosen before as long as it wasn't too recently.

Just post the new ingredient in this thread and I'll set up the new challenge. If you want to, you could test a few ideas for ingredients in this thread to get feedback.

Thank you caseydog and all of you others for your congratulations.

I'll have to give some thought to the next ingredient because I really didn't expect to win.

The last episode of Top Chef in the States features an elimination challenge using cheddar cheese at the Tillamook creamery in Oregon. The last 4 chefs have to make a dish featuring cheddar 5 ways. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Interesting dishes.

Shota. Tofu cheddar dumpling, with cheddar dashi, smoked cheddar oil, cheddar tofu miso and a cheddar tuile.

Gabe. Cheddar oil braised apples (he did something with pectin that made the apples hold their shape even with cooking until very tender) with white cheddar foam, cheese curds, apple bacon cheddar sauce, and a cheese and apple chip.

Dawn. Cheese oil-braised rib-eye (sous vide in whey and the cheddar oil) and cheddar gougères with an extra sharp reserve cheddar foam, soubise sauce and a hot cheddar sauce poured over the top.

Jamie. Sea bass with crispy cheddar, cheddar spaetzle, spiced cheese sauce, cheese broth bok choy and pickled cheese curds.

I will say, just from the looks of the plates, I certainly wouldn't have minded being at that table.

Shota won by a landslide. Everyone was just wowed by his dish.

Gabe's dish was good, but not really inspired or memorable in flavor according to the judges. They said his apple was the best part of his dish, but the whole was good enough to keep him in the running.

Dawn used cheese 3 ways in sauces, 1 of which was grainy. She also left off a gougère on 1 plate, and they were the best part of her plate according to judges. She got lucky.

Jaime went home. Her dish wasn't cohesive, nothing really went together. Plus, most of the judges made comments that there's a reason fish and cheese aren't generally cooked together.

Interesting dishes.

Shota. Tofu cheddar dumpling, with cheddar dashi, smoked cheddar oil, cheddar tofu miso and a cheddar tuile.

Gabe. Cheddar oil braised apples (he did something with pectin that made the apples hold their shape even with cooking until very tender) with white cheddar foam, cheese curds, apple bacon cheddar sauce, and a cheese and apple chip.

Dawn. Cheese oil-braised rib-eye (sous vide in whey and the cheddar oil) and cheddar gougères with an extra sharp reserve cheddar foam, soubise sauce and a hot cheddar sauce poured over the top.

Jamie. Sea bass with crispy cheddar, cheddar spaetzle, spiced cheese sauce, cheese broth bok choy and pickled cheese curds.

I will say, just from the looks of the plates, I certainly wouldn't have minded being at that table.

Shota won by a landslide. Everyone was just wowed by his dish.

Gabe's dish was good, but not really inspired or memorable in flavor according to the judges. They said his apple was the best part of his dish, but the whole was good enough to keep him in the running.

Dawn used cheese 3 ways in sauces, 1 of which was grainy. She also left off a gougère on 1 plate, and they were the best part of her plate according to judges. She got lucky.

Jaime went home. Her dish wasn't cohesive, nothing really went together. Plus, most of the judges made comments that there's a reason fish and cheese aren't generally cooked together.

Very interesting ideas. I favoured the winner before looking at the spoiler, based on the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom