The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

Cocktail time!

Recipe - The Smokey Spicy Lemon (Cocktail)

The fun in this (apart from the consumption at the end) is making the chili-pepper simple syrup:

As to the end result...a pleasant little palate-tickler. Vodka and lemon, no surprises there, but there is a nice change from the usual in the earthiness the jalapeno-infused simple syrup adds - it tastes just like a raw pepper; a mix of bright and bitter.

Last edited:

This dish is absolutely one of my favourites. Baingan ka Salaan (Hyderabad Aubergines). I discovered it by chance one day when searching for "the world´s hottest dishes". It´s likely that it has more chiles/ground chile than I put in, but what the heck. You can add as much extra hot stuff as you want.

Last one, I think, something pretty simple:

Recipe - Spicy Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread

What’s nice about this cornbread, with all the cheese and peppers running through it, is that it can just about be a standalone meal, or a big snack. It’s really substantial.

That’s not to say it’s heavy, though. The bread itself is nice and fluffy (actually, a little too fluffy for my taste in cornbread, but this works because of the add-ins, I think).

Use a mix of red and green chilies and you’ve got a great holiday bread!

If I have my time zone head on correctly there is 22 hours to go to the deadline.

And I count 13 entries up to now.

One entry is in the lead but only by a smidgen.

Cocktail time!

Recipe - The Smokey Spicy Lemon (Cocktail)

The fun in this (apart from the consumption at the end) is making the chili-pepper simple syrup:

As to the end result...a pleasant little palate-tickler. Vodka and lemon, no surprises there, but there is a nice change from the usual in the earthiness the jalapeno-infused simple syrup adds - it tastes just like a raw pepper; a mix of bright and bitter.

Spicy drinks - my first experience of spicy drinks was on a working holiday (1977) when myself and my wife went with my boss and his wife to renovate a villa he had in Conil de la Frontera in the Cadiz province of Spain. They were Bloody Marys and contained chopped red chillies (I can't remember what kind) but they were hot.

It must have been 8 or 9 years later that I experienced a Bloody Mary again. It was in the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai (then Bombay) and the Indian waiters there took them to a whole new level. I've not had one to match them again.

[Edit: The Bloody Marys in Mumbai were served with sliced Daikon white radishes which were then new to me]

Last edited:
Spicy drinks - my first experience of spicy drinks was on a working holiday (1977) when myself and my wife went with my boss and his wife to renovate a villa he had in Conil de la Frontera in the Cadiz province of Spain. They were Bloody Marys and contained chopped red chillies (I can't remember what kind) but they were hot.

It must have been 8 or 9 years later that I experienced a Bloody Mary again. It was in the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai (then Bombay) and the Indian waiters there took them to a whole new level. I've not had one to match them again.

I'm not a fan of Bloody Marys, but I believe it is pretty common here to serve them with Tabasco sauce.

CD

If I have my time zone head on correctly there is 22 hours to go to the deadline.

And I count 13 entries up to now.

One entry is in the lead but only by a smidgen.

I think you got that right. Its now (as I write) 12 hours to the deadline. There are 14 entries according to the cookingbites recipe challenge tag.

Last edited:
I guess that's the end of submissions to this month's "Cooking Bites Recipe Challenge" then.

Fourteen entries and all deserved a mention:

Jalapeño Bagels - msmofet
Pickled Jalapeños - msmofet
Brisket braised in homemade hot pepper sauce - AgileMJOLNIR
Pork and Green Chili Stew - TastyReuben
Jalapeños en Escabeche - karadekoolaid
Rajasthani Laal Maas - murphyscreek
Chicken phal - Morning Glory
Chiles en Nogada - karadekoolaid
Volcanic Hot Sauce - karadekoolaid
Hickory Smoked Chicken Bombs - caseydog
The Smokey Spicy Lemon (Cocktail) - TastyReuben
Baingan ka Salaan - karadekoolaid
Spicy Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread - TastyReuben
Korean Buldak - AgileMJOLNIR

It was nip and tuck and the eventually winner, by a small margin, was almost overtaken by AgileMJOLNIR in the late stages. Morning Glory's phal caused me to gasp for breath when only reading the recipe! The chillis included in bread/pastry (bagels and cornbread) is new to me and If only I could bake I would be trying these. The "stews" I shall make an effort to emulate soon.

However, there has to be a winner and as said, it was very close; but as soon as I saw the first image of Hickory Smoked Chicken Bombs I knew it would take some beating.

So it's over to you caseydog to provide an ingredient for the Christmas Edition of "Cooking Bites Recipe Challenge".

I guess that's the end of submissions to this month's "Cooking Bites Recipe Challenge" then.

Fourteen entries and all deserved a mention:

Jalapeño Bagels - msmofet
Pickled Jalapeños - msmofet
Brisket braised in homemade hot pepper sauce - AgileMJOLNIR
Pork and Green Chili Stew - TastyReuben
Jalapeños en Escabeche - karadekoolaid
Rajasthani Laal Maas - murphyscreek
Chicken phal - Morning Glory
Chiles en Nogada - karadekoolaid
Volcanic Hot Sauce - karadekoolaid
Hickory Smoked Chicken Bombs - caseydog
The Smokey Spicy Lemon (Cocktail) - TastyReuben
Baingan ka Salaan - karadekoolaid
Spicy Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread - TastyReuben
Korean Buldak - AgileMJOLNIR

It was nip and tuck and the eventually winner, by a small margin, was almost overtaken by AgileMJOLNIR in the late stages. Morning Glory's phal caused me to gasp for breath when only reading the recipe! The chillis included in bread/pastry (bagels and cornbread) is new to me and If only I could bake I would be trying these. The "stews" I shall make an effort to emulate soon.

However, there has to be a winner and as said, it was very close; but as soon as I saw the first image of Hickory Smoked Chicken Bombs I knew it would take some beating.

So it's over to you caseydog to provide an ingredient for the Christmas Edition of "Cooking Bites Recipe Challenge".

Oh my, I did NOT see THAT coming. I hope people don't think you and I have some kind of deal worked out, since you won the last challenge... that I judged. :laugh: I also saw a few entries that I thought would beat mine soundly.

With Christmas (and Hanukkah) and the New Year upon us, what does everyone feel about a timeline? I'm going to be traveling for Christmas (as I'm sure other regulars will), and really didn't expect to win.

I'd really like the choice of the next ingredient to be a group effort. If the most popular ingredient is one that I'm not familiar with, I'll try and get some and play with it -- and depend on the regular challenge participants for some guidance. I think it would also be fun to have some Holidays related dishes in the mix. What do you all think?

CD

Oh my, I did NOT see THAT coming. I hope people don't think you and I have some kind of deal worked out, since you won the last challenge... that I judged.

I'd forgotten that!

I can remember insignificant occurrences from 50 years ago but not significant occurrences last week. Expecting me to remember something from last month is pushing it!

Back
Top Bottom