The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

Chiles en Nogada (Stuffed Poblano Chiles with a Walnut Cream Sauce)
This dish was a labour of love. I´ve been to Mexico 5 times, including 2 3-month stints, so I do appreciate their cuisine. This particular dish was created in 1821, by the nuns on Puebla, for Agustin de Iturbide. This gentleman signed the declaration of indepence of Mexico, so I imagine his arrival in Puebla caused a stir! The dish reflects the colours of the Mexican flag: white, green and red.

I am going to the store shortly. It is warm today (77F/25C now), so I can fire up the grill (bbq). I have an idea.

CD

Update. This evening, a cold front came to North Texas, so it turned colder, and VERY windy. I can grill (bbq) in the cold, but I don't particularly want to set my yard on fire -- or worse, a neighbor's yard.

I have everything I need, and this wind is supposed to die down tomorrow.

CD

so it turned colder, and VERY windy.
That’s exactly what’s going on here. We just got a notice from emergency services to watch out for trees down in the road.

Hopefully, MrsT gets into the air later this morning without any issues.

That’s exactly what’s going on here. We just got a notice from emergency services to watch out for trees down in the road.

Hopefully, MrsT gets into the air later this morning without any issues.

We are on the verge of December and it was warm and sticky today. 34°C midday. It's still 30°C at 19:30!

Very strange.

We are on the verge of December and it was warm and sticky today. 34°C midday. It's still 30°C at 19:30!

Very strange.

It was 77F/25C yesterday afternoon. It was 32F/0C this morning. Today's high is forecast to be 49F/9C. Right now, no wind.

This should be a good day for a recipe with chilis. Actually, a bowl of Texas Red would be good, but I've already posted a recipe for that.

CD

It was 77F/25C yesterday afternoon. It was 32F/0C this morning. Today's high is forecast to be 49F/9C. Right now, no wind.

This should be a good day for a recipe with chilis. Actually, a bowl of Texas Red would be good, but I've already posted a recipe for that.

CD

Call it something else?

When I had my Chutney Business, I often found there were various chiles left over; never enough to make a specific dish, just a load of mixed chiles. That´s what made me invent this:
Volcanic Hot Sauce
It actually took a while to get the texture right, because I didn´t want a sloppy sauce, but nor did I want something that separated once bottled. The advantage of this recipe is that you can use any chiles you like - even dried ones. This particular version has fresh habaneros, serranos, ONE ghost chile, and a handful of dried chiles (rehydrated), including chile mora. You can literally use what you like. The colour originally came from annato seeds (which I grew in the garden), but this particular version uses paprika.

It was a few years ago when I last made a chilli sauce -#15

It was a few years ago when I last made a chilli sauce -#15
Yep - been there, done that. I made about the same number. Venezuela and Thailand must be more or less in the same tropical zone, the difference being that Venezuelans are real wimps with "hot" stuff, whereas the Thai motto would seem to be " the hotter, the better!"

Recipe - Hickory Smoked Chicken Bombs

This is something I saw on a YouTube video several years ago. I don't recall what the video was. I've posted a picture here, once, but never a recipe. Although, that batch of chicken bombs was not smoked, IIRC. Just grilled (bbq).

I bought some perfectly sized jalapeños at the Asian market, but took a bite out of a few when I got home, and they had zero heat. They were like bell peppers. So, I went shopping again and found some with pretty good heat.

ChickenBombs001.jpg

CD

I bought some perfectly sized jalapeños at the Asian market, but took a bite out of a few when I got home, and they had zero heat.

I did the same thing but in a market in Fraser Hill, Pahang, Malaysia. I asked the stall attendant first (who thought I was loopy) then took a bite. I couldn't speak for 5 minutes!

Back
Top Bottom