The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

Hey, I did some chatting with some people, and -- What about Ham/Gammon for the next ingredient? It is a popular Christmas food here, and I've been told in the UK. How about other countries? What do you think?

Of course, we will need a vegetarian/vegan option. I have no idea what that would be. Smoked tofu? Any ideas?

CD

Of course, we will need a vegetarian/vegan option. I have no idea what that would be. Smoked tofu? Any ideas?
None whatsoever. Smoked tofu isn't easy to get hold of to be honest. I can't even source the vegan pork that we used to like because it's been discontinued. Hard to know what to substitute it with to be honest. Perhaps plain tofu (any type, silken, normal, Burmese which is chickpea tofu)? It makes for better slabs that have a like bend in then and like polenta you'll add stuff whilst you make it so it has more opportunities...

Timeline, I suggest 4 weeks or same day in January? It might allow people time to play catchup in the new year.

Seitan or tempeh could work too. Possibly mushrooms...

A search on tempeh yielded this...

Vegan ham contains no pork and is usually made from tofu, seitan (wheat gluten), tempeh (soybeans fermented with mold), or mushrooms such as portobello.

Soybeans fermented with mold does not sound appetizing, but it is used for charcuterie and some cheeses, so why not soy beans?

I already mentioned smoked tofu.

CD

Last edited:
Vegan ham contains no pork and is usually made from tofu, seitan (wheat gluten), tempeh (soybeans fermented with mold), or mushrooms such as portobello.

There's no shortage of ready-made vegan ham in UK supermarkets:

Back
Top Bottom