The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Coconut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that the countdown clock displays members' local time zones. The challenge ends in 1hr 20 mins as I write.

TastyReuben (as I'm sure you know) all entries can be seen by clicking on the tag: cookingbites recipe challenge. There are currently 16 entries.

Entrants, please make sure your entries have this tag or they will not be displayed.
It sounds like the entry has officially closed. I'll start reviewing later this morning and render a decision sometime soon after that.

Thanks, everyone, for participating!

Ok, here goes:

Right off the bat, I was really happy to see caseydog's Pina Colada recipe - that's definitely getting made at my house this summer!

Mountain Cat's coconut fried pork chops also sound great - I think pork and coconut are natural friends and this recipe looks delicious.

murphyscreek's ayam panggang - this one represents why I love this forum: never heard of this dish before, and now I want it. Beautiful photograph as well.

Windigo's beef rendang, morning glory's lamb kofta, medtran49's chicken wings, plus so many others...all of these are winners to me.

Alas, much like The Highlander, there can be only one, and this one goes to... CraigC's coconut latkes! Well done!

Recipe - Coconut Latkes

Maybe because it echos back to Christmas...maybe because I love cranberry...maybe because I love latkes, but something about the combination of coconut, cranberry, potatoes, and the cardamom really shouted to me. This is another one getting bookmarked and saved. It may not appear until the holidays this year, but it's on my list.

Congrats to CraigC, and a big thanks to everyone who participated. All the dishes looked so appealing!

Congratulations CraigC - well done! :woot: I thought it was a lovely and unusual recipe. Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient. This might be tricky given the current situation as it may be difficult for many of us to get hold of certain things.

To remind you, all previous ingredients chosen can be seen in alphabetical order here. I need to update the 'date' order! [Edit: now done]'

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! With some folks having limited access to items in the present situation, I'm going to think about this. I have an herb in mind, but will have to think about it as there is a love-hate debate for it.

Given that it probably isn't any harder to find than any other herb these days, I choose cilantro, aka fresh coriander and Chinese parsley. Even though some folks dislike it, there are many cuisines that use it.

Given that it probably isn't any harder to find than any other herb these days, I choose cilantro, aka fresh coriander and Chinese parsley. Even though some folks dislike it, there are many cuisines that use it.

OK - the only issue may be that given its a herb that really only works when fresh, some folk may have problems getting it right now. But its a versatile choice with many possibilities. :okay:

OK - the only issue may be that given its a herb that really only works when fresh, some folk may have problems getting it right now. But its a versatile choice with many possibilities. :okay:

I guess I just took for granted that we can get it year round. If anyone says they can't get it I'll choose something else.

I guess I just took for granted that we can get it year round. If anyone says they can't get it I'll choose something else.

I think we can all get it at the moment - its just that we are restricted in terms of access to the shops due to the lockdown. I have enough fresh food here for two weeks and shouldn't really be going out for just one ingredient. I'm not trying to be difficult - its just that these are exceptional times. I wouldn't think twice about your choice otherwise.

Lets see what people say. I won't set up the new thread until tomorrow...

I think we can all get it at the moment - its just that we are restricted in terms of access to the shops due to the lockdown. I have enough fresh food here for two weeks and shouldn't really be going out for just one ingredient. I'm not trying to be difficult - its just that these are exceptional times. I wouldn't think twice about your choice otherwise.

Lets see what people say. I won't set up the new thread until tomorrow...

Won't that be the issue, no matter what I pick? Maybe we should post pone the challenge until after this passes.

FWIW, I'm fine with it. The challenges last long enough that I can just add it to one of my shopping trips for dog food, and it keeps forever in some water in the fridge.

I think it's good to remember that while so many of us are under shelter-in-place/lockdown rules, what those rules are for each person are quite varied. We, for example, can go out for almost anything, as long as it fits the phrase "essential," so it's very lenient, but I know that others are under severe penalties (money and/or jail) if they break it.

Won't that be the issue, no matter what I pick? Maybe we should post pone the challenge until after this passes.

Well you may be right. But I was thinking if it was a store cupboard ingredient it might be easier. So a herb which works dried as well. I really don't want to postpone the challenge until the crisis passes. We have no idea how long that might be... :ohmy:

I would welcome views from other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom