The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

I look forward to seeing your recipe.

True, I baked my tomagoyaki which I also whisked up, and you propose to pan fry it. I hope you find the mirin and the rice vinegar to make it true to the letter. I used a good drinking sake and skipped the vinegar.
A lot of us keep that kind of stuff in our pantry on a regular basis. She can borrow mine, LOL. But it is a rather long drive.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing your recipe.

True, I baked my tomagoyaki which I also whisked up, and you propose to pan fry it. I hope you find the mirin and the rice vinegar to make it true to the letter. I used a good drinking sake and skipped the vinegar.
I have the rice vinegar, but I may have to use Chinese cooking wine instead of mirin... unless the latter shows up here!

Last edited:
Recipe - White Wine Crêpes for Savory Filling
1630611343865.png

I made some savoury crêpes with white wine in the batter, they came out delicate and delicious! I used them as a base for poached egg seafood crêpes with a white wine tarragon cream sauce (I used lobster and seared scallop chunks for the seafood).
Recipe - Poached Eggs and Seafood Crêpes with White Wine Tarragon Cream Sauce
1630611623342.png

1630611993413.png

1630611068422.png

1630611460205.png

Last edited:
4D6D4623-38B7-4C08-B09D-102381A6F45E.jpeg

Six Layer Caviar Dip - As it turns out, I exaggerated the friendship between the caviar and the chicken eggs. You will see in this recipe that the caviar and the eggs are about as far apart as they possibly can get. However, they did make something quite tasty, particularly if you like salty things (which I do).

Morning Glory

We're coming to the wire and I was going to make my egg sushi recipe today, but time and other factors are ruling against it.

Will I be able to get that recipe posted tomorrow with me being West Coast USA?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I see you have now posted your entry.

There are just under 3 hours to go until the challenge closes as I write.

I wanted to comment on the whole issue of the number of entries.

I made 15 entries in this challenge and several were notable as shared cooking experiences that introduced new concepts and were for me, first time, attempts.

1) Breakfast Chimichangas introduced to European members the American concept of the chimi.
2) Strawberry Coconut Crush and Meringue was my first meringue attempt and coconut usage seems to have sparked controversy.
3) Lemon Chicken Egg Drop Soup unusually, used egg white only.
4) Egg Yolk Chicken Fried Rice used egg yolk only and had a alternate cooking sequence that sparked some debate about what is normally done.
5) Chicken Canadian Bacon Egg Shingles re-introduced the American open face shingle concept.
6) Breakfast Calzone did the unusual that seemed to spark some debate.
7) Golden Dill English Muffins created flavored English muffins.
8) Tomato Garlic Prosciutto Frittata had a cooking procedure that for some, was debatable.
9) Eggs Californian is in the class with Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine, but a new inventive creation that introduced and included cloud eggs. The cloud egg usage also introduced in another thread about cloud eggs, the French dessert, eggs in the snow.
10) Tempura Udon explored a common Japanese soup.
11) Lox Nori Rolls was my first attempt at Nori Rolls.
12) Tomato Potato Egg Bake used polenta to form a crust and was topped, again, by cloud eggs.
13) Egg Sushi was my first attempt at sushi, ever, and beyond tomago nigiri, created uramaki and temaki rolls which had as their content, eggs and bacon.

Two other recipes, Kumamoto Tobiko and Lox Salad Topped with Tobiko, simply explored the application of flying fish roe to recipes.

The point here is that the multiple recipes either introduced new, sometimes controversial and debatable concepts, or were first attempts for an amateur cook, - me.

One last point, along the way of creating the meringue and the cloud eggs, I came up with a new method to separate egg whites and yolks, by pin holing the egg shell and opening it just large enough to let out the white, but not the yolk. The yolk remained safely stored in the shell and when ready for use, could simply be poured out by opening the hole bigger. That was better than trying to spoon out one yolk from possibly multiple, in a bowl. The whole process was very clean and not susceptible to yolk breakage as when breaking the eggs by hand or device.

I made comment on this new method during the post on the Strawberry Coconut Crush and Meringue.

These challenges truly do inspire and provide fertile ground for cooking leaning experiences.

:okay:

One last point, along the way of creating the meringue and the cloud eggs, I came up with a new method to separate egg whites and yolks, by pin holing the egg shell and opening it just large enough to let out the white, but not the yolk. The yolk remained safely stored in the shell and when ready for use, could simply be poured out by opening the hole bigger. That was better than trying to spoon out one yolk from possibly multiple, in a bowl. The whole process was very clean and not susceptible to yolk breakage as when breaking the eggs by hand or device.

I made comment on this new method during the post on the Strawberry Coconut Crush and Meringue.

These challenges truly do inspire and provide fertile ground for cooking leaning experiences.

:okay:

Great point! I can't count the number of things I have learned from your entries. Seriously, I am not able to count them. Some of the unique and creative ingredient combinations you have come up with are things I would have never thought of combining. :okay:

CD

Last edited:
I wanted to comment on the whole issue of the number of entries.

I made 15 entries in this challenge and several were notable as shared cooking experiences that introduced new concepts and were for me, first time, attempts.

1) Breakfast Chimichangas introduced to European members the American concept of the chimi.
2) Strawberry Coconut Crush and Meringue was my first meringue attempt and coconut usage seems to have sparked controversy.
3) Lemon Chicken Egg Drop Soup unusually, used egg white only.
4) Egg Yolk Chicken Fried Rice used egg yolk only and had a alternate cooking sequence that sparked some debate about what is normally done.
5) Chicken Canadian Bacon Egg Shingles re-introduced the American open face shingle concept.
6) Breakfast Calzone did the unusual that seemed to spark some debate.
7) Golden Dill English Muffins created flavored English muffins.
8) Tomato Garlic Prosciutto Frittata had a cooking procedure that for some, was debatable.
9) Eggs Californian is in the class with Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine, but a new inventive creation that introduced and included cloud eggs. The cloud egg usage also introduced in another thread about cloud eggs, the French dessert, eggs in the snow.
10) Tempura Udon explored a common Japanese soup.
11) Lox Nori Rolls was my first attempt at Nori Rolls.
12) Tomato Potato Egg Bake used polenta to form a crust and was topped, again, by cloud eggs.
13) Egg Sushi was my first attempt at sushi, ever, and beyond tomago nigiri, created uramaki and temaki rolls which had as their content, eggs and bacon.

Two other recipes, Kumamoto Tobiko and Lox Salad Topped with Tobiko, simply explored the application of flying fish roe to recipes.

The point here is that the multiple recipes either introduced new, sometimes controversial and debatable concepts, or were first attempts for an amateur cook, - me.
Honestly I am flabbergasted and I disagree, but it's a moot point. It's an international cooking forum, different or unusual concepts are introduced by our members regularly. Sometimes they are enticing and interesting, but sometimes not.
SMH. That's all I'm going to say.

Last edited:
There were 50 entries this time round. It may be a record! Its impossible to check other than going through every challenge and counting - but I reckon its pretty much the highest.

I tried to make comments on every recipe entered within their recipe threads. In judging, I took account of the presentation of the dish (not photographic skills) as well as the recipe itself. Here's my long list of my favourites in no particular order:

Recipe - Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde and Mexican Chorizo from caseydog.
A lovely spicy dish excellently presented.

Recipe Eggs Oscar with Crab Meat The Late Night Gourmet
I absolutely adore eggs Benedict and this variation had me drooling. Its something I’m going to make soon.

Recipe - Poached eggs, smoked salmon and caviar from karadekoolaid
A lovely combination of ingredients and the presentation was elegant.

Recipe - Monachina, Neapolitan Fried Boiled Eggs Bechamel Filled from MypinchofItaly
A few simple ingredients combined to make delicious eggy snack. I’d eat these any day of the week.

Recipe - Egg Sushi (Tomago Nigiri, Egg Uramaki Rolls and Egg Temaki Rolls) from flyinglentris
I’m not a sushi fan so I take some convincing - but I’d certainly be happy to taste this dish. Very good work and presentation.

Recipe - Bell Pepper Boats with Scallops, Bacon, Quail Egg, Salmon Roe, and Grape Tomato from Mountain Cat
A joyful colourful dish with a glorious combination of ingredients: scallops, bacon, salmon roe and quail’s egg. A great combination of textures and tastes. Very well presented.

Recipe & Video - Muttai Kulambu from murphyscreek
A beautifully spiced egg curry which (as with almost everything murphyscreek cooks) had me craving.

Recipe - Kashmiri Egg Korma from karadekoolaid
A creamy egg curry with beautifully balanced flavours and not too sweet as kormas are apt to be. Well presented.

Recipe Breakfast Pizza from TastyReuben
I love a runny yolked egg on a pizza dough with a nice puffed up golden edge. This fitted the bill perfectly and was very well presented.

Recipe Chocolate-courgette cake from Hemulen
A luscious moist cake. I’m not really a cake person but this looked so appealing.

Recipe Poached Eggs and Seafood Crêpes with White Wine Tarragon Cream Sauce from JAS_OH1
A delightful dish with luxury ingredients.

Recipe - Salted Egg Yolk Prawns from vernplum
I really loved this dish: two types of eggs used in different ways with different techniques and some of my favourite spices. Very well presented.

Recipe - Kumamoto Oysters Tobiko from flyinglentris
flyinglentris made lots of inventive and experimental entries; I chose this as one of my favourites because of the combinationof ingredients simply presented.

Also, a special mention for Recipe Poached Unlaid Chicken Egg Yolk (Eyerlekh) Chicken Soup from Mountain Cat
A most unusual and surprising dish with a fascinating narrative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom