The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

I don't know. What was it that used to be "as versatile as an egg" - according to the advertisement?

(awaiting punch line)

CD

No punch line. I was actually asking a question to which I cannot remember the answer. It was a UK television advertisement, possibly in the 60s.

Wow. Eggs. I love them, whether they´re from birds, fish or ants. Yes - i´ve eaten amazon ant eggs, and ant eggs in Mexico city, mullet eggs in Venezuela, quail eggs - and poached eggs. Not to forget caviar. But what´s my recipe going to be - haven´t got a clue yet.

OK, I'm counting on you to source some ant eggs for the challenge.

Seriously though, I really hope you make an eggy entry.

I remember that.

Maybe I'm wrong about the "versatile as an egg". I'm not known for my accurate memory.

I think it was Carnation milk. Unfortuantely I can't find a link to the advert itself:

No punch line. I was actually asking a question to which I cannot remember the answer. It was a UK television advertisement, possibly in the 60s.
I think it was this:

At the time, I just accepted the slogan (it was on TV, after all!) but now? Oh, an egg is edible? That is incredible! I would never have thought of that!

I was actually looking over for one of the original ads, but I found this one instead: Hoping I got the linking correct...

This is hilarious. I remember the original public service announcements were meant to be serious, and showed “your brain on drugs” as an egg frying in a pan. I’m not sure if that actually did what it intended to do, or if it just made more drug users want to have breakfast.

I think it was this:

At the time, I just accepted the slogan (it was on TV, after all!) but now? Oh, an egg is edible? That is incredible! I would never have thought of that!

I believe that was a US only ad. Eggs were out of favor due to a healthy food fad that claimed eggs are bad for you. This ad campaign tried to combat that. Of course now, eggs are good for you. I can't wait for kale to be bad for you.

CD

That's a tough pick really. There are so many things I've done with eggs for breakfast every morning that the field of possibilities is narrowed considerably, if I desire to do something unique. I feel myself pushed to think in the realms of baking and desserts.

Fish eggs? I've already used capers in rolled anchovies on salads. And flying fish roe for sushi is hard to come by. I'm sure a raw egg smoothie would be ludicrous.

This is a real head scratcher.
In a big metro area like where you live, especially with a strong Asian community presence, flying fish roe should be easy to find. I live in a smallish city of about 250,000 people with a small Asian population and I can think of 3 places off the top of my head where I can find flying fish roe, all within about 10 miles of my house.

But there are a ton of things you can do with chicken, duck, quail, etc. eggs.

Back
Top Bottom