The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:09 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. The current challenge ingredient is eggs and Morning Glory is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* using eggs or a suitable vegan alternative, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge.

Deadline: 12.00 midday Friday 3rd September, UK time (GMT +1). Challenge rules and a list of previous winners and ingredients can be found here.

*recipes must be posted within the time frame of the current challenge.

That's a tough pick really. There are so many things I've done with eggs for breakfast every morning that the field of possibilities is narrowed considerably, if I desire to do something unique. I feel myself pushed to think in the realms of baking and desserts.

Fish eggs? I've already used capers in rolled anchovies on salads. And flying fish roe for sushi is hard to come by. I'm sure a raw egg smoothie would be ludicrous.

This is a real head scratcher.

That's a tough pick really.

Scotch eggs, eggs in purgatory, egg curry, variations on home-made mayonnaise, huevos rancheros, African eggs, eggs in pho, gala pie, carbonara etc. All these can be made in potentially 'unique' ways if you want. And if you never made a Scotch egg with a runny yolk then now is the time to try! That is a definite challenge.

Eggs are so incredibly versatile and I could go on listing. In fact I have a whole vintage cookery book dedicated to eggs.

I've already used capers in rolled anchovies on salads.

That isn't fish eggs. Anchovies are whole fish. Here its quite easy to find salmon roe in little jars in supermarkets (much cheaper than caviar). I did find this so maybe you can get it in the US: American Salmon Caviar

Last edited:
Yes, one of my favorite foods. Even if I don't win, I'll get to eat a lot of eggs -- so I guess it is a win/win.

I hope I have enough time to invest. My dad has decided that they are ready to move NOW! I'll be hopping between Dallas and Houston over the next month.

CD

Its such good news re your parents. On the plus side, most egg recipes are fast to cook so hopefully you can fit some into your schedule.

Hmmmmmm...

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 1.06.18 PM.jpg

CD

It is said that ant eggs are delicious. In Thailand they are used in salads, soups and other dishes. Maybe Yorky can experiment?

Ant eggs are common food for people in Thailand’s northeast. The eggs of red ants are good material to cook. They are clean and high of protein nutrients. Red ants eat mango leaves so their bodies taste like a squirt of lime, but their fresh eggs are fatty and sweet, they resemble the soft fluffy ends of mini barley grains, or soft ‘rice bubbles’ and have a delicate taste, soft appealing texture and a slightly tart edge.
Exotic Thai Food: Spicy Raw Ant Eggs Salad | Learn Thai with Mod

I'm looking forward to this, because I think, after 18 or so months here, that I've settled on my challenge persona, meaning that I like the idea of submitting, as a minimum, a cocktail, a starter, an entrée, a side, and a dessert. Along with that, maybe something that's kind of fun or kooky, and maybe a bread. Eggs work with all those, or stated another way:

With Eggs, All Things Are Possible!

I'm looking forward to this, because I think, after 18 or so months here, that I've settled on my challenge persona, meaning that I like the idea of submitting, as a minimum, a cocktail, a starter, an entrée, a side, and a dessert. Along with that, maybe something that's kind of fun or kooky, and maybe a bread. Eggs work with all those, or stated another way:

With Eggs, All Things Are Possible!

I'm liking your approach!

What was it that used to be "as versatile as an egg" - according to the advertisement?

Back
Top Bottom