The CookingBites recipe challenge: fish

I think I am just going to make a quiche instead. No point in trying to reinvent the wheel, LOL. I mean I know I could make the chowder substantially different from my previous entry yet still very tasty, but I have never entered a quiche recipe in CB before and I have something yummy in mind! Guess I will go roll out a pastry crust this afternoon sometime.

I ran out of time on all my ideas. One was a quiche/tart. Go for it JAS_OH1!

I ran out of time on all my ideas. One was a quiche/tart. Go for it JAS_OH1!
I'm making an herbed pie crust, I haven't made a pie crust in so long! I usually just buy them but I wanted to do something a little different. I am going to blind bake it, any ideas on what I can use in place of pie weights? I do have parchment paper.

Also wondering if I need to egg wash it or if that's really necessary. I don't want a soggy crust.

I'm making an herbed pie crust, I haven't made a pie crust in so long! I usually just buy them but I wanted to do something a little different. I am going to blind bake it, any ideas on what I can use in place of pie weights? I do have parchment paper.

Also wondering if I need to egg wash it or if that's really necessary. I don't want a soggy crust.

I use ceramic baking beans but you can use rice (obviously raw grains) or dried beans. I don't normally egg wash the crust of a tart/quiche. I don't think egg wash affect crispness really, only colour. Given that the edge of the pastry is what is on display I don't think it needs egg washing. Blind baking is the key to crispness I think.

Having horribly failed at blind baking many a crust, once you get it in the pan and the weights added, really get them up against the sides so they can hold that crust to the sides of the pan. Also, once you get it in the pan, pop it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I usually do mine for an hour. Overkill, but I've had too many instances of putting a pie dough in my oven and pulling out flatbread 40 minutes later. :laugh:

Yeah, I will get mine written up before I go to bed tonight. I think you are like 6 hours ahead of me so if I get it done before midnight I am good to go, because I am darned sure not getting up at 6 a.m. to write it!

Hey, I did it the last two challenges!!

Having horribly failed at blind baking many a crust, once you get it in the pan and the weights added, really get them up against the sides so they can hold that crust to the sides of the pan. Also, once you get it in the pan, pop it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I usually do mine for an hour. Overkill, but I've had too many instances of putting a pie dough in my oven and pulling out flatbread 40 minutes later. :laugh:
Me, I go for crustless quiches. Not because they're easier; no - I just like them better. (Less starch.)

Unagi Yaki Udon Stir Fry

full.jpg

I use dried beans for pie weights. Be advised though that you can't cook them after. I just keep them in a plastic bag until I need them again.

I actually had some rocks, LOL. I thought about that with the beans and I hate wasting food so I didn't use any. I washed the rocks first, of course, and put them on the parchment paper. Maybe not enough rocks, but it is good enough for me. I had them up against the edges at first but during the last part of baking the middle puffed up a bit so I repositioned them. Hey, I haven't made a pie crust in over 30 years, so I am okay with it, LOL. No pastry chef here, that's for sure!

Too late. I didn't put mine in for the last chill and I didn't get them up against the sides good enough, most likely. The edges drew back slightly but it still remained a decent shape. I also took a nibble, it tastes great!

I really wanted to make my Arctic char with Fig/Maple glaze, but with my back going severely out earlier this week (barely getting the curry recipe up - opiate derivatives do a number on writing ability...) it is not happening. The fresh figs involved have developed mold. I'm not rushing several towns over for more (if they even have them). I will, however, create this recipe in the future and share it without the competition.

PS I am doing a lot better but taking care.

I really wanted to make my Arctic char with Fig/Maple glaze, but with my back going severely out earlier this week (barely getting the curry recipe up - opiate derivatives do a number on writing ability...) it is not happening. The fresh figs involved have developed mold. I'm not rushing several towns over for more (if they even have them). I will, however, create this recipe in the future and share it without the competition.

I am sure there will be a seafood challenge again in the future so maybe you will get a chance then. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hang in there! Glad you're feeling better. A bad back takes it right out of you, I know that from experience.

I am sure there will be a seafood challenge again in the future
Or a fig challenge...or a maple challenge...

Hang in there! Glad you're feeling better. A bad back takes it right out of you, I know that from experience.

Or a fig challenge...or a maple challenge...
I think your wife would enter the maple challenge? She might have to join CB just for that!

I think your wife would enter the maple challenge? She might have to join CB just for that!
My wife's maple syrup recipe:

Ingredients
1 jug of pure maple syrup, preferably from upstate NY, any size (the bigger, the better)

Directions
Remove cap from jug of syrup. If opening a new jug, remove the protective safety seal.

Upend jug into mouth. Repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom