The CookingBites recipe challenge: fish

It's a fish challenge, so you won't be getting any competition from me! :laugh:
Same here.
Vegan fish 'alternatives' are all solutions, not individual ingredients to use so they offer merge pickings to say the least sadly.

From the list of alternatives, I seem to be able to choose chickpeas, mushrooms, tofu, Jack fruit and banana blossoms. None of which, to me at least, resemble fish.

I do know it is possible commercially to obtain fish alternatives from soy products but that's only commercially (1 restaurant we use does an excellent alternative, but it is in another territory and we're in lockdown and it's closed except for take away) and with most health food shops well outside of the distance I'm legally allowed to travel for the foreseeable future (5km from home which doesn't even get me to the end of my road), and the postal service deciding to stop collections in 3 states & territories to clear their backlog, I can't even buy anything online.

So I guess I'm out because I really don't consider chickpeas or tofu to be a viable alternative to fish and I can't access anything else. :(

Same here.
Vegan fish 'alternatives' are all solutions, not individual ingredients to use so they offer merge pickings to say the least sadly.

From the list of alternatives, I seem to be able to choose chickpeas, mushrooms, tofu, Jack fruit and banana blossoms. None of which, to me at least, resemble fish.

I do know it is possible commercially to obtain fish alternatives from soy products but that's only commercially (1 restaurant we use does an excellent alternative, but it is in another territory and we're in lockdown and it's closed except for take away) and with most health food shops well outside of the distance I'm legally allowed to travel for the foreseeable future (5km from home which doesn't even get me to the end of my road), and the postal service deciding to stop collections in 3 states & territories to clear their backlog, I can't even buy anything online.

So I guess I'm out because I really don't consider chickpeas or tofu to be a viable alternative to fish and I can't access anything else. :(
Do certain types of seaweed give off a fish-like taste? I don't guess consistency-wise though, and it would be a greenish fish dish, LOL.

I've got lots of fish in my freezer. I have a small chest freezer in my garage with Chilean seabass (technically not really sea bass BTW), Ahi tuna, grouper, walleye, and perch. We eat fish several times a week.

I prefer fresh fish, but hey, I live in Ohio, and I can get fresh fish (expensive) here and there. Fresh salmon is easily obtained here. The only kind of canned fish I have ever used is tuna, and I use that in casseroles or sandwich mix (called tuna salad in the US). If I lived near the ocean I would never use anything but fresh fish.

In Singapore if you see ‘cod’ in the supermarket it’s actually Chilean Seabass. Now I am finding out Chilean Seabass is not even a seabass! WTH is it then? :)

‘True’ Cod (in this case Atlantic cod) is available here but it costs a bomb and isn’t that fresh. :(

In Singapore if you see ‘cod’ in the supermarket it’s actually Chilean Seabass. Now I am finding out Chilean Seabass is not even a seabass! WTH is it then? :)

‘True’ Cod (in this case Atlantic cod) is available here but it costs a bomb and isn’t that fresh. :(
Oh that's so sad, cod should always have a neutral taste. It's not my favorite fish anyway. It's too mild for me, although I don't mind beer battered cod with chips AKA French fries (and malt vinegar of course!). I think cod is bland, even chicken has more depth of flavor than cod.

What is a Chilean Sea Bass? (with pictures)

LOL Chilean seabass is actually called "Patagonian toothfish" which is not exactly a great marketing name, right? And wow but that fish is ugly, but darned if it doesn't taste delicious! Chilean seabass is superior to cod anyway, IMO. If you can find Chilean seabass frozen, it is usually very good. A lot of times supermarkets have fish that was previously frozen in their cases. Ask the fishmonger if it was previously frozen, and if he says yes, ask him for a frozen piece you can thaw at home yourself (you never know how long something in the display case has been thawed out already before you buy it). Chilean seabass is outrageously expensive here, about $35 a pound. I order it online for a better price. It arrives in croyvac packaging already frozen and on dry ice, and it's wonderful. I usually prepare it with a dill, mustard and EVOO marinade and sear it in my cast iron skillet. Sometimes I have created a crabmeat topping for it with red bell pepper and herbs. I might pair it with asparagus and wild rice. It's elegant and goes great with a dry white wine.

Don't fry it. It's too heavy and that just doesn't work well with this fish.

Last edited:

I've used tofu in the past.

Do certain types of seaweed give off a fish-like taste?

Yep! In the past I've made vegan dishes using tofu and seaweed as a fish/seafood alternative. I remember it worked quite well.

Recipe - Spicy Vegan Tofu Seafood Cakes

And for this one I used tofu, miso and a touch of sugar as 'faux crab': Recipe - Avocado and Tofu Roulade

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm having problems with the font color in my post for my recipe. I keep trying to make it light green like the other links in my post and it keeps reverting to dark green. UGH.

OK, took me like 5 edits to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom