The CookingBites recipe challenge: fish

My wife's maple syrup recipe:

Ingredients
1 jug of pure maple syrup, preferably from upstate NY, any size (the bigger, the better)

Directions
Remove cap from jug of syrup. If opening a new jug, remove the protective safety seal.

Upend jug into mouth. Repeat as necessary.
Maybe you should tap into your maple trees and run a spigot and hose into the house.

This is not an entry, but it is still relevant. The MRE is the US military‘s “Meal Ready-to-Eat”. These are available for purchase at military surplus stores in the United States. It set me back $10.99.

It’s intended to be a meal, but theoretically also a day’s worth of nutrients if need be. I expected these to be generic, gray substances that were merely functional. But, this looks pretty good. That, and this is Warfighter recommended, Warfighter tested, and Warfighter approved. You can’t get better than that.

This includes:
  1. A kit for making lemon pepper flavored tuna salad wraps.
  2. A packet of lemon lime juice. There is also sugar in a condiment pack, so it could be used to make a lemon lime drink. Without sweetener, the citrus flavors offer a sophisticated touch to a humble wrap. Very clever, US military!
  3. Cheese spread and crackers.
  4. Lemon poppyseed poundcake.
  5. Reese‘s pieces!!!!

I will report back on how it all turns out. And, I also have another MRE that I can share later. The pack is resealable, so I might not report back right away. The expiration date is July 2022.

And, if I had more time in this contest, I would make something else, but the week has gotten away for me.

This is not an entry, but it is still relevant. The MRE is the US military‘s “Meal Ready-to-Eat”. These are available for purchase at military surplus stores in the United States. It set me back $10.99.

View attachment 71927
It’s intended to be a meal, but theoretically also a day’s worth of nutrients if need be. I expected these to be generic, gray substances that were merely functional. But, this looks pretty good. That, and this is Warfighter recommended, Warfighter tested, and Warfighter approved. You can’t get better than that.
View attachment 71926

This includes:
  2. A packet of lemon lime juice. There is also sugar in a condiment pack, so it could be used to make a lemon lime drink. Without sweetener, the citrus flavors offer a sophisticated touch to a humble wrap. Very clever, US military!
  5. Reese‘s pieces!!!!

I will report back on how it all turns out. And, I also have another MRE that I can share later. The pack is resealable, so I might not report back right away. The expiration date is July 2022.

And, if I had more time in this contest, I would make something else, but the week has gotten away for me.

It cost you $10.99. The US military probably pays $109.99 each for them. :rolleyes:

CD

View attachment 71927
View attachment 71926

This includes:
  5. Reese‘s pieces!!!!

Look forward to seeing your cooking with this kit. Although "fat free mayonnaise" sounds entirely depressing.

Hi everyone!

I judged the entries as they came in and scored them on different qualities of presentation, originality, practicality, looks tasty and so forth. There were some really excellent entries and I am pleased to say that the tightly-contested top spot goes to JAS_OH1 with her:

Panko-breaded Fried Grouper Tacos with Tequila Lime Crema

fish-tacos-presented-3-2-jpg.jpg

Congratulations JAS_OH1 ! I was impressed by her fearless striving to try out new flavours combined with this well-presented and practical recipe.

Well done to everyone who joined - there was some really terrific fish cooking throughout the past three weeks!

Hi everyone!

I judged the entries as they came in and scored them on different qualities of presentation, originality, practicality, looks tasty and so forth. There were some really excellent entries and I am pleased to say that the tightly-contested top spot goes to JAS_OH1 with her:

Panko-breaded Fried Grouper Tacos with Tequila Lime Crema

View attachment 71965

Congratulations JAS_OH1 ! I was impressed by her fearless striving to try out new flavours combined with this well-presented and practical recipe.

Well done to everyone who joined - there was some really terrific fish cooking throughout the past three weeks!
I am honored by your appreciation, there really were some fantastic entries by our CB members. Thank you vernplum!

Many thanks for your judging vernplum!

Congratulations JAS_OH1. It does look a very attractive dish. Well done!

Its over to you now, to choose the next ingredient. As usual we ask you to choose an ingredient that is fairly accessible and affordable across our various countries. You can see the ingredients chosen before here in date or and here in alphabetical order. It really doesn't matter if its an ingredient chosen before as long as it wasn't too recently.

Just post the new ingredient in this thread and I'll set up the new challenge. If you want to, you could test a few ideas for ingredients in this thread to get feedback or PM me.

Well, look at you with your fancy pants fish tacos. :smug:

Congratulations. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks moving my parents, but I'll try to enter something in the filet mignon challenge. :D

CD

Poultry! Chicken, turkey, quail, etc. We eat a lot of bird in my house, it will be fun to see some new twists and ideas, as well as some traditional ones.

Back
Top Bottom