The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Honey

I understand that there is an Island in the Pacific somewhere that is 15 minutes behind or ahead of some countries. However, I doubt the general population even care (or are participants in the cookingbitesrecipechallenge).

[Edit: Or is that Katmandu?]

Apparently the country in the Pacific is Chatham Islands which may have some connections with New Zealand. And Australia have a "state" called "Eucla" which seemingly avoids any similarity with it's neighbour's time zones.

IMG_0906.JPG

Honey Lilac End of Summer Cocktail. I was initially concerned with how dark the mixture turned out. But, now that I think of it, this is meant to mark the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. The color does seem appropriate for an autumn drink.

Moderators Hat on, sorry.

There is a problem with the countdown clock. It should be counting down to the UK version of midday on Friday 27th but it has become apparent that it is not doing that. It is actually counting down to the local version of midday on Friday 27th. So in other words unless you are in the UK or in the GMT+1 time zone, it is showing the wrong countdown time.

So you need to ask a search engine what time it is in the UK now, and work out your own times. I think it will be best if I as morning glory (or anyone else in the UK for that matter) to yell out loud in this post when midday today has happened for the UK and if the message is there, the deadline has past (if that is OK with the current challenge winner murphyscreek . It should finish at 9pm AEST btw.)

I will speak with the developer, but its Friday, so it may take a few days to get a response, otherwise I will have to try to find a replacement.

Thanks for clarifying that, as I'm pretty sure my countdown clock was showing finished when it became apparent it wasn't the case in the UK. It's a great idea if you or someone could post on here when time's up, though I did just work out the idea of googling GMT....lol, am a bit slow on the uptake.

There is a chance work may require me to start my Saturday shift at 2.00am (am on standby). If that's the case I may be a bit slow posting the challenge results because I'll need to be trying to sleep before and after the 9pm (my time) deadline. But will get to it asap.

Don't worry. Sometime over the weekend will be totally fine. gives the winner chance to choose something and have a new round running come Monday.

I am looking at changing the clock to a different one. I'm just waiting on the developers for the only other countdown clock to confirm a couple of points for me to make sure it will actually not have the same problem for starters and that it is compatible with the new version of the platform. They say XF2.0, we're XF2.1 so I just have to double check before I try to install it. But basically the clock is running of your local time, not the server time which is going to be a problem for us.

to summarise... (roughly, it may be an hour out here or there due to who is and isn't on Daylight savings)
NZ on GMT+12 has an 11pm local time cut off
Eastern Standard (GMT+10) in Aus is 9pm cut off local time
Thailand on GMT+7 has a 7pm cut off local time (no daylight saving, too lose to equator)
Italy is on GMT+2 so has a 1pm local cut off time
The UK obviously on GMT+1 has a midday cut off.
I think we have most if not all of our active USA members on GMT-5, so that would give them a 6am cut off local time.

I think...

Thanks everyone for your patience. First of all, I need to apologise for my ingredient choice. I was aiming to come up with an ingredient that was universal and thought I had with honey, completely forgetting that honey isn't vegan.

So was particularly impressed with SatNavSaysStraightOn alternative and tasty looking recipe for her Vegan Coated Almonds. Other honourable mentions go to Cookie with a few great sounding recipes but particularly for the imaginitively titled Hot Buttered Love Chicken Thighs. Also loved the look of The Late Night Gourmet Carrot and Honey Soup, and that intriguing lilac infused cocktail... yummm, and Yorky with the stir fry pork would be my go to choice on many a night.

There were surprisingly few dessert options, so a big shout out to MypinchofItaly and that black rice recipe. Am definitely going to try this soon.

But the winner has to be morning glory , and honestly could have picked a winner out of a few of her recipes this month, but chose the Honey Spiced Eggs as the winner mostly because this is the dish I most wanted to try after reading through all the entries. So congratulations and over to you

Thank you murphyscreek. I haven't won the recipe challenge in ages! There were some brilliant entries too, so I'm honoured. The recipe you chose will not be to everyone's taste due to the texture of the egg whites through long cooking. So if you get round to trying it I'll be interested to know what you think.

I'll now turn my mind to choosing a suitable new ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom